• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My parakeets are overweight

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
Well, I just took my parakeets to the vet and they are all overweight, Jesse being the most unhealthy. I feel like such a failure; I thought I was feeding them the best food but I guess that little bit of seed in their fruit and vegetable mix was too much.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yes, I've definitely had pudgie budgies before! Most recently this past summer. I was visiting family for 6 weeks with the birds, and I had not packed either the scale to weigh their food or them for the trip. I was definitely overestimating the amount I was giving them! I kicked myself for that for weeks afterward!

Now I'm very, very particular about the amount I feed them. They are fed out 15% to 20% of their ideal weight in food for each day. So say Jelly and Juju should be 38g. That means they will/should only eat about (38 g x 15% is roughly 6 g) per day. And of that 6g per bird per day, 25% of it is seed. Budgies are granivores and need the seed to be part of their diet (according to my vet).

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
Oh yes, I've definitely had pudgie budgies before! Most recently this past summer. I was visiting family for 6 weeks with the birds, and I had not packed either the scale to weigh their food or them for the trip. I was definitely overestimating the amount I was giving them! I kicked myself for that for weeks afterward!

Now I'm very, very particular about the amount I feed them. They are fed out 15% to 20% of their ideal weight in food for each day. So say Jelly and Juju should be 38g. That means they will/should only eat about (38 g x 15% is roughly 6 g) per day. And of that 6g per bird per day, 25% of it is seed. Budgies are granivores and need the seed to be part of their diet (according to my vet).
Maybe I should start weighing the food instead of using a scoop cup.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck

Maybe I should start weighing the food instead of using a scoop cup.
Pudgie Budgies and I have a Buddha Belly Birdie I just posted about before I saw this thread! I should have posted it here! In case you don't see it:
1672105549005.jpg