• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My parakeet just laid an egg, not emergency but what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I've had Lisa for 4, 5 years. She's never laid an egg before. It's not fertile. She has no mate. It's at the bottom of the cage. I was not home today and was not here when she laid it. I was out and came home to find it.
She seems fine. Her normal self. Perched and looking fine. She was eating and seems like nothing out of the ordinary happened. I did see her pecking at her cuttlebone.

What to do? Take the egg out? Leave it there? Does she need anything extra nutritionally?

Will she likely lay any more eggs?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leave the egg with her. She may lay more. After she starts sitting wait about 28 days to remove them or you can use artificial eggs in their place.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I would leave the egg too. After she quits laying which might be two or four eggs or more, then leave everything just the same until she loses interest and isn't sitting on them anymore. Then take them all out and rearrange the cage. Don't leave her anything that might look like a little egg that she would take into a dark corner and start all over again. I give my birds more darkness at night...longer hours. This seems to eliminate the urge to lay in some birds.
Some birds will lay no matter what you do. If she has papers available to shred, this will stimulate her to make a nest.

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
She doesn't seem interested in it now but lately she been shredding n going under newspaper in the cage. We didn't have the grate in the bottom. But its been like that for quite awile. I have to put the grate back in n keep her away from the newspapers. Thanks for the advice

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Elsie, Kiwi was a chronic egg layer...I had to remove all nesting material, rearrange her cage and give her 12 plus hours of complete darkness each night...

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Some birds will not lay on their eggs until the full clutch has been laid.

She may not lay on it on her grate (if that's where it is).

If I remove my ekkies eggs as she lays them, she just replaces them, so I cannot remove the eggs until 28+ days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.