• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My Parakeet is constantly tail bobbing after laying eggs

Krystal856

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, please help! My parakeet (Blue) has been laying an egg here or there over the past 2-3 weeks which wasn't an issue then. Recently she has developed a constant slow tail bobbing after the two recent eggs. I checked and she doesn't seem to be egg bound and her behavior is normal. It's just that she seems to be laying eggs constantly and has now developed the tail bobbing. Also, she doesn't have a mate so all of her eggs are unfertilized. I attempted to move some things out and around in her cage to try to discourage breeding behavior but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm concerned for her egg laying and tail bobbing.

I had this issue with one of my other girls (Pikachu) but she stopped as soon as I removed her from her nest. The same tactics are, so far, not working with Blue. She seems very adamant about laying her eggs. I was thinking she could also be stressed from that and from not being able to sit to them as she has no nest (they're all at the bottom of the cage).

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Krystal856

Checking out the neighborhood
Idk if anyone is going to help but I thought an update would be nice. I moved her cage to different area in the house and I think it was just stress and from laying eggs. Still tail bobbing but not as much after the move and today's egg.

Not really ideal but I think her not being able to give into her motherly instincts aren't helping. If she continues to lay, I might have to give her a nesting area and let her sit on her eggs. Hopefully this would have her stop laying after the normal incubation period. It worked for my two other girls. She's the current oddball. I'm going to wait a bit and see how she feels since although she seems better, she's still laying.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you speak to your Avian vet about this issue?

Tail bobbing can be normal depending on how much bobbing is actually happening- a small bob with each breath is pretty normal- an ongoing and obvious tail bob is not.

As obvious tail bobbing is usually seen with illnesses and as there are so many types of illnesses it is quite hard to help in any way, the actual reason for the bobbing can only be diagnosed by a qualified avian vet, anything we tell you it is would only be a guess which is not very helpful.

If your bird is laying frequently you will want to make sure the diet you feed is providing enough calcium to replace what is lost making eggs.

Adding a nest I believe will only increase the want to lay and as that is not what is best for your birds health I would not think it would be a good idea.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
laying an egg here or there over the past 2-3 weeks
Recently she has developed a constant slow tail bobbing after the two recent eggs.
I'm going to wait a bit and see how she feels since although she seems better, she's still laying.
I'm having a difficult time following the volume of laying and order of things from the description.

I suppose the core question from me is has she laid since the tail bobbing started? If not, even though you felt for binding, I would be concerned about binding.

Lastly, depending on the actual number of eggs in, "laying an egg here or there", a large number on its own would prompt a trip to the vet even if she wasn't tail bobbing.