• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Next Bird...

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hey! I completely forgot about those cuties. I saw one at the bird shop once and was like, Kaka-what? hahah.

I did research on them, and they just seem a bit too skittish, more suited for an aviary. I don't know.... :-( I hope somone can give me an experience with Kakariki.

Oh, another bird I thought of was a rosy bourke. But I feel those may be too skittish too.
O about the kakarikis, I loooove them! I have been tempted to bring a pair home so Many times, especially As they are rather common in the Netherlands. I met one ‘up close’ in an aviary. She was not skittish at all, came to me and after Some work took pieces of seeding grass from me and came to investigate. Every time I walked by she came to me:)

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Lots of wise words here, and yes, I love my GCC!! (even though she is turning into a teenager--she has bratty moments but is still mostly cuddly and adorable and fun!)
Early on, @SandraK advised me that if you get a second, they don't necessarily shut you out. I think it all depends on the birds.
I work from home but Waffle is great at entertaining herself and sometimes prefers being in her cage with her toys even when the cage door is wide open. They are acrobats and climbers, so if you do go that route make sure they have lots of swings and boings to play on. Good luck on your journey! We'll look forward to hearing what you decide. :)

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
Hey Guys thanks for all your help with answering my questions!

You guys are the best and respond so fast ^^ and your messages are so informative.

I've decided I'll get 2 handfed male lovebirds. They seem to suit my needs the best ^^ You just can't go wrong with their antics!

GCC and others from the genus seem awesome, but I realized noise might actually be a problem there hahah. (Not for me, but for my family XD)

Kakarikis seem awesome, but there are no handfed breeders of them anywhere near me, and it seems they are a lesser known parrot. Thus, I am scared an
avian vet might not know much about them, and give me misinformation. But that's just me worrying!!

I just have 2 questions regarding my soon to be new friends (lovebirds).

-Even if they are from the same clutch, should I keep them in separate cages until I can trust them together?

-Should I clip their wings when I first get them. Or will that cause stress?

---------------------

It's going to be a few weeks before I get them (gotta find the RIGHT ones!)
But I'll make sure to come back and send you guys photos!!

once again, thanks!:rflb:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I honestly can't say lovebirds (at least, peachfaced lovebirds) are any quieter than a green cheek conure...

I've taken two, maybe three, species of birds to my vet that she has never met in person. Hasn't changed the care they received! :)

I personally do not recommend clipping, especially not at a young age. Use treats, lots and lots of treats!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I honestly can't say lovebirds (at least, peachfaced lovebirds) are any quieter than a green cheek conure...

I've taken two, maybe three, species of birds to my vet that she has never met in person. Hasn't changed the care they received! :)

I personally do not recommend clipping, especially not at a young age. Use treats, lots and lots of treats!
Agreed! I also care for a black capped conure and I dare say my lovies are louder then he is.. I hear my lovies across the street easily, not sure the neighbors hear them inside but on Some days I hear them when I am still halfway down the street! The BCC is loud a lot less often, volume wise, I am not sure whether he is louder or not. Lovies have a higher pitch at least.
I would also not recommend clipping, it takes their choice(which is so important!) away and makes staying healthy harder:)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
We had 2 lovies who did not grow up together and when they went to their forever home, my husband commented that he'd never realized just how noisy the lovies were with their continuous peeping. Marco was a very good boy and loved the companion we got him (Polo) but Polo wanted to be a Quaker when he grew up and I realized I'd have a seriously injured bird on my hands very soon. Marco was laid back and would follow Polo to the ends of the earth but Polo was an "in-your-face-I-want-to-be-a Quaker".