• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My newest bird and in need of help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aisia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Teresa
This morning I picked up my newest addition to my flock. A goffins too named Murray. He is around 2 and a total sweetheart. With that said....he is almost naked! He is plucked. I need a little advice on how to help him. Vet aptment is already made so I just need any advice that might help me get him to stop picking.

Here are a few pics of him.
100_1112.jpg 100_1114.jpg 100_1115.jpg 100_1116.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh he's adorable,I have no advice but congratz on adopting him.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
He looks feather barbered. Its when they chew excessively on their feathers. Getting that vet apt done, making sure the blood work and the full works is done, to rule out health problem. Next would be diet and providing a proper size cage and tons of toys, tons and tons of enrichment to take his mind off his feathers!:)

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Murray is adorable!!!!!:heart: Congrats on your new baby! Hopefully the vet will have some answers. In the meantime I would mist him with Aloe/water mixture. He really is a sweetie!:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations on your new addition....I am sure, once the vet rules out any medical problems, that with a proper diet and lots of wonderful toys and attention, he will stop the barbering.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
My Goffin has never plucked or barbered - but he is a REALLY busy busy busy guy. He is constantly doing something.
I think Murray needs things to chew up and destroy and preen and manipulate.
Glad you are getting vet check also!

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Teresa what a little cutie, that is what my Sam now looks like.

Best to have a vet check done so they can rule out medical issues, if he comes back witha clean bill of health it is probably behavioral.

In Sam I think it manifested itself when I took in a foster, he had been the only bird up until that point. He didn't want any of his usual toys and stopped playing with them altogether. After a lot of trial and error, I started giving him finger traps and crunchy stuff like that. His all time favorite, is what most birds with barbering issues seem to like,and cheap, is to get some phonebook pages accordianed and ziptied to his cage. This redirected his overpreening to that and he actually let his wing and tail feathers grow back out; it was shortlived about 2 weeks but that was a start. I would also try lots of baths, don't do them to late in the day he needs plenty of time to dry before going to bed and I would suggest not using a blowdryer that will dry his skin out and make the problem worse.

Hope this has helped some!

PS More pics please.:)

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Congrats on Murray. I think everyone has given you great advice. :hug8:

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Oh I think Murray is beautiful!!! Hopefully some of the suggestions above will help him to be happier.... :hug8:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh that's barbering for sure! Get a humidifier for him, aloe spray and lots of baths. He may be itchy.

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
What a cute fuzzbutt!!

:hug8:he'll be feathery in no time

aisia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Teresa
Thank you so much everyone. He had never had a bath befor. I gave him one shortly after he arrived and he already doesnt chew as much. Also, they were feeding him WILD bird seed....:omg:.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
You have gotten great advice so far, just wanted to say congrats and all the best with him. He sure is a real cutie. :heart:

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
That's so sad, how many people don't do even the most basic research about their bird. I also met many women in the maternity ward who'd never read a book on maternity & childcare. What can you do?!? :confused:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Poor, poor baby. He's a barberer for sure - the curlies can come from him overpreening, or it could be a condition. I agree, see a vet and see how it goes. Best of luck! :hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Oh look at those adorable little PJs! He looks like an absolute darling. :hug8: Congrats on your new fid!

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I know one thing, he is adorable!

Status
Not open for further replies.