• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new Pair of Eastern Rosellas

George D

Moving in
Hi all,
I have just joined this site. I purchased a pair of 4 month old Eastern Rosellas a week ago now from a pet store. I have never had this kind of bird before. They are clearly bonded. I have made progression with Bindi (female) who lets me stroke her beak and has taken food from my hand so far. She hasn’t got onto my finger yet. Whereas with Dingo (male) he is quite shy and doesn’t let me near him but, has taken a treat from a distance. Although he seems curious, I think it will take longer to bond with him. I keep them in a large cage together. I have let them out now for the past couple of days and they come back themselves. Is there any tips anyone can give to help tame them? The last time I had any kind of birds was about 30 years ago and they were Budgies. Thanks George

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
:godmor: Read to them, sing to them, sit near the cage and talk calmly and gently to them. That’s what has worked for me, anyways. Pictures?!? I love seeing pictures of people’s birds.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
In my experience Rosellas can be one of the hardest birds to tame and train especially in a bonded pair. You'll probably find one will get quite familiar with you (Bindi) while the other will probably always hold back. They'll never be 'cuddly' birds but their antics will bring you years of joy.
They are beautiful birds. I hope they will be happy sleeping in the cage and sharing your home, the last Crimson I had is now happier in an aviery with others.
:needpics:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Pretty, pretty birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Beautiful birds!

going slow is the key :)
let the birds set the pace. Thats usually the advice that works the best :) feed them yummie thing and let them learn that the hand is not something to fear :) petting and stepping up is something you should not be thinking about yet :)

(thats my opinion anyway)

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh they're gorgeous!! It sounds to me like you've made progress already. :) Just keep going at their pace and you will get more joy from them than you could have ever imagined.

George D

Moving in
Beautiful birds!

going slow is the key :)
let the birds set the pace. Thats usually the advice that works the best :) feed them yummie thing and let them learn that the hand is not something to fear :) petting and stepping up is something you should not be thinking about yet :)

(thats my opinion anyway)
Hey
Thanks for your great advice. You are right I am trying too hard! Yes will take your advice too and take my time with them

What kind of bird(s) do u have?

George D

Moving in
Oh they're gorgeous!! It sounds to me like you've made progress already. :) Just keep going at their pace and you will get more joy from them than you could have ever imagined.
Thank you, a lot of people are saying the same advice of taking it at the birds pace. I have to back down a bit and let them let me know when they are happy

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
There are various picture treads on breed forums and the like, or you can go to a profile and see if the user made a tread about their birds, where you migth find pics.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
This is Roger the Crimson (Adelaide) Rosella I shared my home with for a while.
DSC_0053~2.JPG

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gorgeous birds! Little works of art!
:wow:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Gorgeous birds! We haven't had any eastern rosellas on the forum for quite some time!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Thanks for sharing your pictures. They are quite lovely :heart: