• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My new little love bird wasnt scared and now seems to be

Is my lovebird still scared or independent?

• Scared

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Independent

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Hi there. I was wondering if I could have tips or help. I'm new at having a bird and I adopted a nice little Fischer Lovebird a week ago. He's gonna be 3 months in a couple days. He was handfed and the first couples days he wasn't afraid of my hand and would jump on it and come to my shoulder when I took him out of his cage. Now for the last days he's been looking at my hand refusing to step up and if I push it gently against his belly he walks slowly away. I dont know if he suddenly is scared or just tired and refuses to come out? Also when on my shoulder, I was able to put my hand to him and he would jump on again, but now he refuses and is just moving to the other shoulder. I dont know if he is trying to play catch or hiding or just scared of me? Can anyone help. Should I try the steps of taming him again slowly? Or maybe just let him be more independent if he refuses to do something?

Also is it ok or normal that when he is on my shoulder is facing my back? Is it because he is afraid or just curious of the rest of the room?

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Is he acting normally other than that? Eating? Active? etc.? Your little bird (who is super cute) is still settling in. Something may have scared him or as you said, he may be asserting some independence. Just take things slow and try not to force him to do things he's not comfortable with. I'm sure some of our lovebird people will have more advise.

@Ankou ? @fluffypoptarts ? @TikiMyn ? @metalstitcher ?

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
thanks for the reply! Yes he is eating. And active. He doesnt play with his toys but he will explore a room and fly from one furniture to another or to my shoulder. He eats pellets and seeds and a bit of fruits but I'm still working on that. I never see him drink water but if I take him to the sink and turn the water on very slowly he will take a few sips.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
When he moves away, he is simply telling you "no thank you". I'm pretty keen on the idea of choice. When a bird is given a choice, and not forced, you'll see a lot more positive results.

When your bird walks away, just take a step back and try again in a minute. Don't be afraid to use a food or toy bribe to encourage your baby to step up on the next try. :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If you need him off of your shoulder, sometimes it's easier to lean over to a perch so that he can step off. Praise him for that as well.

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Ah good idea!! Thanks a lot!

I just tried the bribing. He wont take the treat yet and he is afraid of his toys or doesnt know how to play with them so ill guess Ill have to show him.

I tried putting my hand in and coming back later when he wouldnt step up and after a little while he came out. I dont think the battle is won so far though. He seems pretty stubborn my little baby

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
It'll take time and you'll need to work with him consistently. A few short sessions a day will help. :)

Some of my more hand-shy birds would take millet if it was clipped with a clothespin since it gives a bit of space (disconnect) between the hand and the bird.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator