• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new indian ringneck is scared of hands

nspiro

Moving in
Real Name
Nikola Petrović
Hi, this is my first post and I am still learning about avian avenue, but I'm here to stay, that's for sure :)

I got my first ever parrot, an indian ringneck, his name is Kiwi he is 4 years old and has had 2 previous owners. I got him yesterday and so far I noticed he isn't afraid of me and my family but he is scared of hands.

His previous owners never taught him to step up, they would just chase him around the cage with their hands and once they caught him they wouldn't let him go until he is back in his cage. I think this is the reason why he is scared of hands, he lets us give him food and toys with our hands but as soon as he sees our hands empty, he launches across his cage.

I would love to teach him not to be afraid of hands and hopefully connect with him better in that way, but as of now, he wouldn't let me come near him with my hand and he didn't leave his cage yet.

He is such a sweet bird, he loves his toys and comes near us when we talk to him, but as soon as he sees a hand getting anyhere near a cage he backs off a few steps.

TL;DR: My new 4 yo IRN (Kiwi) is afraid of hands because of how the previous owners treated him, I would like to teach him not to be afraid but he won't leave his cage.

Thank you in advance, I'm happy to be here :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
1st. Don't approach him with your empty hands unless absolutely necessary. Example injury to bird, clean cage, change food or water.
2nd. If he takes treats or food from your hand offer treats frequently.
3rd. Slow down and back off a bit. You are new to him. How would you like it if a stranger kept invading your space.
4th. Leave the cage open when you can, and let him come out on his own. It may take awhile (several days or weeks). Make sure you allow time to coax him back in without having to resort to grabbing him with your hands.
5th. Make the outside of his cage interesting. Put a perch on the door that is outside the cage when open. Put a play area on top of his cage if possible.

Welcome to the Avenue and good luck. Remember patience is the key. Don't force him to do anything unless it is absolutely necessary for his or your safety.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hi, welcome!
Congratulations on your new buddy!
Love to see a picture!

IRN can easily develop fear of hands. I've hear folding ginger back can help some.

Silvee sage Aviary has some good articles. This should help