• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My New Green- Sad Update Post #23

bumblebee

Walking the driveway
The poop to body size ratio for any fruit eater is always going to be bad but at least aracaris don't have projectile poop like lories. I still don't understand how or why lorikeets are able to shoot poop sideways but it makes aracari clean up much more manageable. :D
I had a scaly breasted lorikeet when I was little. He was one of my first ever birds and he was what kick started my love for parrots. He was such an awesome little guy but I had no idea what I was getting myself into with the mess he made! The poops themselves aren't so awful to clean up but it was the cage area that was a nightmare for me, as well as the smell... and I don't know why, but I went and got myself a rainbow lorikeet while I still had him so I then had two projectile poop machines in the house... not my wisest choice, but they were awesome company!

I adore lorikeets but I don't think I could ever own them again... Lorikeet poop is a whooooole other level... haha.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mango sounds like a fun little guy :) thanks for telling us about him! :)

dipplestix

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
Mango passed away this afternoon, :(. He was fine as of this morning and ate his breakfast as usual and flew around the house before I went to work. When I came home a few hours later he had already passed. :(

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG! That's terrible :( I'm very sorry:sadhug2:Are you going to get a necropsy?

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am so sorry for your loss. That must have been such a shock. I don't have any words except, so sorry.

dipplestix

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
OMG! That's terrible :( I'm very sorry:sadhug2:Are you going to get a necropsy?
I wasn't planning on doing so, don't really see any reason to (I have no other birds and there wasn't any toxins like gas in my apartment)

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
I wasn't planning on doing so, don't really see any reason to (I have no other birds and there wasn't any toxins like gas in my apartment)
I would get a necropsy. A young, healthy bird doesn't just pass for no reason. Who knows, he could have had some dormant disease that killed him and now it's in your house and could affect any new birds you bring home.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
@Diesel13 responded just before I was able to hit send. :lol:

I totally agree. I would be super interested to learn what happened here. Considering how young he was and how quickly he passed there are only so many factors that could have caused this. I would also be concerned about gas leaks or anything that could have gone unnoticed.

dipplestix

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
My family and I buried the bird already, would it be too late to get a necropsy tomorrow?
Starting to feel like it was emotionally impulsive to just want to be done with the process and not get one done

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
My family and I buried the bird already, would it be too late to get a necropsy tomorrow?
Starting to feel like it was emotionally impulsive to just want to be done with the process and not get one done
If it's been less than a day certainly not. Ideally you'd want to refrigerate the body as soon as possible though.

And I know I should have said it already but I'm so so sorry for your loss. I could only imagine how devastated we would be without Kevin. These birds really are beyond special.

dipplestix

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
If it's been less than a day certainly not. Ideally you'd want to refrigerate the body as soon as possible though.

And I know I should have said it already but I'm so so sorry for your loss. I could only imagine how devastated we would be without Kevin. These birds really are beyond special.

I don't really think I could emotionally handle going out, digging it up, and placing it in my fridge. Think I could tomorrow morning hopefully and will call the vet tomorrow before doing so to make sure.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am so sorry for your loss

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I am so, so sorry. :sadhug2:

Fly high, Mango. :sorrow:

Molo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Maureen
So sorry for your loss, what a special bird

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would talk to your vet before doing anything. My understanding is the body needs to be refrigerated pretty quickly. And I'm so sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am very sorry for your loss.