• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new gecko

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
When I was little we had a 10g aquarium, after several years we put it away because already would build up very quickly, you couldn't see inside only a week after cleaning. Two years ago we set it back up thinking that maybe it would be fine, couldn't even keep the fish alive long enough to find out. Tried several times over the course of a year, but ultimately ended up once again storing it.
I thought it would be cool to get a lizard, I wanted a snake, but snakes are forbidden in this household. Once I get my own place though!
I forgot about the spare, should be trashed tank, and was just going to wait until the fish in my current 10g died. That would have giving me plenty of time to think about it, do some research, all that kind of stuff. Two weeks later I remember the spare tank, and cleaned it out. I set it up today, and got a lizard. He(?) Is a golden gecko. I named him Paxson, Pax for short.
I was going to get a leopard gecko, but they didn't have any, so I got the Golden.
I bought a screen for the top of the tank, good thing too. That little bugger is fast, I new that they like to climb, and are kinda fast, but I wasn't expecting that. He literally ran all over the tank sides before jumping to the screen lid. He then just hanged there for a bit before climbing down.
Unfortunately there are a couple things I still need to buy, like a hide away, since I couldn't find one anywhere. I'm also going to get another spiderwood (I have one) and some plants. Going to make it look pretty!
I felt bad for not being able to buy a hide away yet, so I cut a plastic cup in half, now he has two! It's just temporary, I'm afraid that the heat from the lamp will warp the thin plastic. I also thought I had a spray bottle, turns out I don't, at least not a working one! I can get one tomorrow on my way home from class.
He will have a much better enclosure soon! I just hope I'm able to find a hide away, maybe an aquarium decoration would work?
I'll also have to get crickets at some point, he is currently being fed a freeze dried bug, veggie, and fruit mix.
I love Pax already, he's adorable.
I don't have a good photo, but here are some that I took anyway.
20200831_175600.jpg 20200831_180512.jpg 20200831_180519.jpg 20200831_180544.jpg
Don't judge too much, I have an old aquarium decoration in there, two halves of a plastic cup, and a spider wood (which I love btw) I will see what the stores have tomorrow, hoping they restock and I'll be able to find something. I also have to get something that will support the lamp, I thought it came with a stand or something, but it was just the dome. It just sits there on the screen and I'm afraid that my little Pax will burn himself.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I recommend an Exo-terra enclosure when you can upgrade him, they're very well made. I would find somewhere you can get it in person so there's less chance of it breaking in transport.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I recommend an Exo-terra enclosure when you can upgrade him, they're very well made. I would find somewhere you can get it in person so there's less chance of it breaking in transport.

*I also recommend replacing the sand(?) with coco fiber because Golden Geckos are from rainforests, and get a hydrometer to monitor humidity, which is important for geckos, especially during sheds.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
*I also recommend replacing the sand(?) with coco fiber because Golden Geckos are from rainforests, and get a hydrometer to monitor humidity, which is important for geckos, especially during sheds.
I ordered a hydrometer, it will arrive on Thursday.
It's not sand, it's shredded coconut husk or something like that. I'd have to look at the bag, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with coconut. Either way, it's definitely not sand.

I would love to get one, but I went with my old aquarium trying to save money. At some point down the line I will get a proper terrarium. One terrarium I really like is this https://www.amazon.com/REPTIZOO-Rep...rds=repti+zoo+terrarium&qid=1598922916&sr=8-3
I don't really have room for one of those though. I barely have the room for all of my bird cages and fish tanks as is.

Last edited:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I ordered a hydrometer, it will arrive on Thursday.
It's not sand, it's shredded coconut husk or something like that. I'd have to look at the bag, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with coconut. Either way, it's definitely not sand.
Great! I couldn’t tell from your photo, but great that it’s not sand! To add more climbing area for him, you could get one of these:

Or you could use more branches to make climbing opportunities.

I would love to get one, but I went with my old aquarium trying to save money. At some point down the line I will get a proper terrarium. One terrarium I really like is this https://www.amazon.com/REPTIZOO-Rep...rds=repti+zoo+terrarium&qid=1598922916&sr=8-3
I don't really have room for one of those though. I barely have the room for all of my bird cages and fish tanks as is.
Golden geckos are arboreal, so I would suggest when you upgrade, get something taller rather than long that will have more climbing area for them, it will also have a smaller footprint while still providing a lot of useable space.

Edit:
Maybe something like this, it costs less than the Exo Terra, but it still offers a decent amount of space.

Last edited:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I was gonna say the same stuff as @Kiwi's Mom so I won't add anymore advice as they covered it. He is SO cute!! I'm sure youre gonna do awesome with him geckos are cool little dudes.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Golden geckos are arboreal, so I would suggest when you upgrade, get something taller rather than long that will have more climbing area for them, it will also have a smaller footprint while still providing a lot of useable space.
I wonder if I could put the aquarium on it's side, I don't know if it's big enough to have both bowls and a hideaway if I do that, but I would be able to get more branches in there and he'll be able to climb more. It might be worth a shot.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I wonder if I could put the aquarium on it's side, I don't know if it's big enough to have both bowls and a hideaway if I do that, but I would be able to get more branches in there and he'll be able to climb more. It might be worth a shot.
You could use some fake vines with large leaves to create a hidden spot for him. I think that could work better for him than a ground one because geckos like to be up high.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
There is a U.S company that makes glass things to put on aquariums to put them on their side. It was on a Snake Discovery video (if you know what that is)

I can't remember the company. It was something to do with artificial rocks too. @Kiwi's Mom do you remember the name?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
There is a U.S company that makes glass things to put on aquariums to put them on their side. It was on a Snake Discovery video (if you know what that is)

I can't remember the company. It was something to do with artificial rocks too. @Kiwi's Mom do you remember the name?
I’m not sure, but I think I remember the fake rock stuff?

Reactions: Ali

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cute little fella.:) I adore crested geckos, he looks distantly related. ;)
I love Crested geckos too! They’re so cute, but I don’t like the tailless ones at all, I don’t see why anyone would think that’s a desirable feature.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I love Crested geckos too! They’re so cute, but I don’t like the tailless ones at all, I don’t see why anyone would think that’s a desirable feature.
Aww, don't be mean! I don't think they do it on purpose.:ashamed1::rofl:
They seem pretty easy to care for too. If I even got into geckos I think they would be my first choice. Or leopard geckos.
How do you tell what gender your Pax is?

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
They seem pretty easy to care for too. If I even got into geckos I think they would be my first choice. Or leopard geckos.
How do you tell what gender your Pax is?
I have no idea what gender Pax is, I just refer to him as a male. I'd have to google how to tell the gender.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Also my Hydrometer came today. I put it in when I got back with some new decor. Still couldn't find a hide away. I also hung the lamp, got a spray bottle.

To add more climbing area for him, you could get one of these:
I just ordered one, I checked the stores today to see if they had it or something similar, but they seem to be low on stock on more reptile items (and bird items, haven't been able to find new toys for them in stores for months)

I made sure to double check before I added that succulent. Don't want to kill poor Pax.

20200901_160552.jpg
20200901_155631.jpg 20200901_160725.jpg

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't think it's bad when it's a product of unintentional misshandleing, but there are lots of breeder that sell tailless (Frogbutt lol) babies like it's a special and desirable thing. It may just be a product of misshandleing, but even reputable breeders sell them, and I don't think they would be misshandleing their babies.
That's just my 2 cents :lol: