• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My New Chicken Adventure

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Awwwwww what cuties!!!!!!!! Congrats! I would loveeeeeee to have some chickens, but there are too many coyotes here... :(
But again, :congrats5:

Aves

:cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::cngrt5::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:shifty:
and it'd just moved to the last page!!!

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Congratulations! I love my Buff Orpingtons...good layers, docile, pretty, *fluffy*; I have to say the pretty/fluffy factors weighed heavily in their favor when I was choosing a breed because my urban living niece was coming to spend the summer with me and was afraid of many things not found in her city:lol:

When you say that they will be free ranged all day, every day, I have to ask about predation where you live. My girls have an enclosed run (with hardware cloth buried a foot deep all around. there has been evidence of predators making attempts, but they gave up before going that far) that is the entire space beneath the back deck, and they are only allowed to free range with supervision. Protect your hens from danger, and yourself from the heartbreak of carnage. Sorry, I don’t want to be a downer, but do think all new chicken keepers should be made aware that “just about everything likes to eat chicken”, and take steps to safeguard 8AE45814-C21C-4879-A0BD-FA542036A46E.jpeg 1EBF89C9-3FD1-4ADB-A5FD-11B965E74DC9.jpeg

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The ladies are beautiful! Congratulations!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those are great names! :heart::heart::heart:

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
i agree with the predation risk you may want to have a fenced in area where they're allowed
Depending on where in VA @Zonlover lives, overhead coverage is also a must...hawks and other raptors.
Maybe something like a small chicken tractor (enclosed space that can easily be moved about the grounds)? Otherwise, your pretty girls will have the grass stripped and the ground bare in no time

BirdWorld

:congrats5: They're so adorable and floofy! Love the names :)

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Well, it's been ages since I updated this thread. I think their personalities have changed, so I will go over that again.
Faith is the friendliest.
Hope is usually sort of like a cat. Independent, and not super friendly. Currently she is a very grumpy broodyhen who throws mini tantrums when I lock her out of the coop. She is the biggest.
Love is sometimes friendly and sometimes not. She has an annoying habit of pecking the back of my legs when I turn my back to her, especially if I am holding food. She is the smallest.

Fun fact, I can actually tell by the shape of their eggs who laid which egg.

They do not like the heat today.
IMG_2347.JPG

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe this is a lovely update.

I am sorry they are having a bad day in the heat. It might be a good day for some yummy melon snacks.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
:xflove:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:heart: Great update!
Fun fact, I can actually tell by the shape of their eggs who laid which egg.
I think I used to be able to do that with my silkies.
At one point I could tell all my roosters apart by their crows :xflove: