• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new canary!

TMS9539

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Terri
So here is Pip - rescued from the local pet store! Can anyone identify what type of canary he is? I’m pretty sure it’s a he because he’s been singing. I have a video of him taking a bath which is adorable, but I don’t know how to upload video. I think it may have been the first bath of his life. I am completely in love with him.

I got him a much bigger cage which I still have to put together. Soon! I want to get another one and I’m encouraged by Finchly keeping them together, but almost everything I read online says that they are happier alone, so I’m still a little hesitant. I especially don’t want 4 canaries in separate cages, so perhaps I will start with one more. Or maybe two. Would 2 females be better than one? It is such a hard decision!

Attachments

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
The only 'rescue' there is from pet stores is if they are seized, or are given for free into your care, otherwise the stores are still profiting.
The birds I get into my sanctuary are a combination of both (usually). But more importantly- 30 day QUARANTINE. Meaning- not even in the same room of your other canaries. You are talking about passerines here, very suseptiable to many diseases and infections.

During 30 day: watch the droppings (poop-ologist style)

As far as alone: they are not 'happier' alone. Males will often 'sing'; more because they are looking for a mate.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month