• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My new cage (voting)

Which cage should i get?

• Total voters

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
I’ve been looking at cages for the past month, i see them when i close my eyes!:wacky:
It comes down to two flight cages i found on amazon, and i wanted to get the AA opinion on them. (It took me a long time because it’s very difficult to find good cages at a good price that also ship to the Netherlands)

This is cage 1:
Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand F040 Black Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch : Birdcages : Pet Supplies
My budgies are cage biters so i love the powder coat finish, it’s big enough for my four budgies, there are enough places to eat and drink and i like the width. However I don’t like how the doors open and those tiny springs on them.

This is cage 2:
Amazon.com : Yescom Large Ladder Bird Parrot Aviary Flight Breeding Cockatiel Finch Cage : Pet Supplies
This one has platforms and ladders throughout the cage (which look very fun!:joyful:), and i like the way it closes. It’s big enough for the flock and again, there are lots of places to eat/drink. But because of the stairs and platforms, i wonder if it gets full easily. And with full i mean crowded, as if they dont have enough space to hop and jump around.

The are a few reasons I’m desperate for a new cage:
- They are cage biters and i do not want them to be able to eat and digest the paint etc. Even if they say its ‘bird proof’.
- The combination of the bars with no paint and the water dispenser has resulted in rust on one of the cages and u really want to replace it.
- I want the flock to be all together. I have kiwi in her own cage separated from the other three.
- The three in the white cage are territorial and will nip at each other if another one gets too close when playing with a toy or eating etc. When standing on a perch they are okay. So i got adviced to get a bigger cage so that they don’t feel like the have to claim every little inch of the cage.

If there are good cages you recommend feel free to reply with a link.

Ps: in the pictures i added you can see their current cages, please vote :laughing12:

Attachments

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have several of the Prevue cages. I really like them.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I think personally I would go crazy about the Doors of the first one. I hate hanging toys and putting perches and such in it if I can't reach all the places easily. But that is just me, if you don't have a problem like that you can go either way:lol:
If they like to play on flat surfaces I think they would love the second cage, they could still fly on each Floor and also have the extra Floor space. But both are Great choices I think!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it would be better to get a cage that is wider than it is tall. Lots of members here seem to like the HQ or A&E double flight cages. Don't know if you are able to get either of these brands shipped to you.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
What iamwhoiam said! I thought they were both 31 inches, but I wasn't sure about it, so if there is a big difference in width I would pick the wider one. I would like to encourage As much fly, climbing and hanging in a cage as possible:)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, I am not a fan of the feeder doors on those cages. I don't like the lift up doors and if you get a cage with those it's a good idea to zip tie them. Some birds can figure out how to raise them up and sometimes the door will come down on them as they exit the cage and injure them or worse. I call them guillotine doors.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Iewl, so good of you to point that out, I can't imagine the horror of finding one of your fids killed bu such a door

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
They are quite tall. If you do get one of these, especially the 2nd one, I would be tempted to put 2 platforms (plexiglas or wood) - 1/3 the floor space in size, 1/3 up from the bottom on the left side and 1/3 down from the top on the right, across from the ladders so they don't interfere with them. Drill holes and secure them with zip ties. Otherwise poop will be landing on everything top to bottom. They will be able to make more use of the space with the "rooves" installed.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Rainforest Double Flight | scarletts parrot
This is a good flight cage plus it has a divider so you can make it into two cages, plus the feeders are on swivel doors so you don't even need to go in the cages.

The cage I have for the budgies is a little like the second just with no platforms (I prefer the second one tbh, you can put lots of goodies on the platforms, they must be removable). If you're letting the birds out to fly it should be plenty of room for them and toys.

Attachments

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
I think it would be better to get a cage that is wider than it is tall. Lots of members here seem to like the HQ or A&E double flight cages. Don't know if you are able to get either of these brands shipped to you.
I also saw some double flight cages and i really liked them but this means i would have to spilt them up and there are no ‘good’ combinations. For example my two blue budgies are in love but have one of those ‘love, hate relationships’ and kiwi gets really jealous of the other yellow budgie when i give her attention so they don’t really get along great.
What iamwhoiam said! I thought they were both 31 inches, but I wasn't sure about it, so if there is a big difference in width I would pick the wider one. I would like to encourage As much fly, climbing and hanging in a cage as possible:)
They get outside cage time every day and they get to fly as much as they want until their bedtime so they are active, so I thought i could compensate that with a cage they can climb a lot in, kiwi likes to climb a lot so i could imagine her climbing upside down in those cage stairs :hehe:. But i can also get the same result by just getting wooden stair toys and arrange them right?

BTW, I am not a fan of the feeder doors on those cages. I don't like the lift up doors and if you get a cage with those it's a good idea to zip tie them. Some birds can figure out how to raise them up and sometimes the door will come down on them as they exit the cage and injure them or worse. I call them guillotine doors.
Oh god that would be horrible, because of the reply prior to yours i was leaning to that cage but oh no.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
They are quite tall. If you do get one of these, especially the 2nd one, I would be tempted to put 2 platforms (plexiglas or wood) - 1/3 the floor space in size, 1/3 up from the bottom on the left side and 1/3 down from the top on the right, across from the ladders so they don't interfere with them. Drill holes and secure them with zip ties. Otherwise poop will be landing on everything top to bottom. They will be able to make more use of the space with the "rooves" installed.
That’s a good idea! I was already thinking about the layout i would have to get, to put the food high up so that they don’t constantly poop on ‘em. I’ll see if i can get custom made plexiglass at my local hardware store. Plexiglass will be much easier to clean

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You could defiantly get the same effect in the other cage with wooden platforms, it is your choice to what you like better! Either one would be Nice, I am sure they Will enjoy to climb and play around in both of them:D

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Rainforest Double Flight | scarletts parrot
This is a good flight cage plus it has a divider so you can make it into two cages, plus the feeders are on swivel doors so you don't even need to go in the cages.

The cage I have for the budgies is a little like the second just with no platforms (I prefer the second one tbh, you can put lots of goodies on the platforms, they must be removable). If you're letting the birds out to fly it should be plenty of room for them and toys.
Wow that cage is perfect , i really wanted a cage with those feeder doors. But it’s a really big buy for me, i want to keep it €200 and under because I’m also getting a lot of new perches and toys. (€200 is approximately £176) Do you think it is possible for me to find a cage similar to that one for a lower price?

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Are we exaggerating about a door killing a bird? I've never heard of such a thing. I fasten doors open when fids are out though.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are we exaggerating about a door killing a bird? I've never heard of such a thing. I fasten doors open when fids are out though.
No exaggeration. I have read posts about this happening. The birds figure out how to lift the doors but don't make it through fast enough. The recommendation is to zip tie the doors so the birds can't do that. Can also use small locks.

I also saw some double flight cages and i really liked them but this means i would have to spilt them up and there are no ‘good’ combinations. For example my two blue budgies are in love but have one of those ‘love, hate relationships’ and kiwi gets really jealous of the other yellow budgie when i give her attention so they don’t really get along great.
The double flight cages have slide out dividers so you can use them separately or as one large cage.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Even if it is, it’s still easy for them to figure out how they work and get out. And i dont want to have to fasten them shut forever and only open the other doors that go from left to right, it would be difficult to put water and food into the feeders.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Wow that cage is perfect , i really wanted a cage with those feeder doors. But it’s a really big buy for me, i want to keep it €200 and under because I’m also getting a lot of new perches and toys. (€200 is approximately £176) Do you think it is possible for me to find a cage similar to that one for a lower price?
I know it is a bit pricey. There are cheaper ones at little pets warehouse
Elegance Double Metal Large Flight Cage - Little Pet Warehouse I was going to get this at first.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
I know it is a bit pricey. There are cheaper ones at little pets warehouse
Elegance Double Metal Large Flight Cage - Little Pet Warehouse I was going to get this at first.
Thanks, i can afford that. I’ll just place the feeder in a spot where they can’t get pooped on!:wacky: Do you know if they ship to the Netherlands? I can’t find shipping information on their site, you have to check out first to know about it. I can also just make a call tomorrow