• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new budgie can't fly properly

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
I got him yesterday, He can't fly properly don't know why, I have checked his feathers, I saw 3-4 feathers are broken, I think it is the reason for this problem, but I don't wanna take a chance, Can anybody help me out of it, give me a suggestion please..! Thanyou Avianavenue and guys who are always helping me

Attachments

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It seems like he doesn't expect there to be walls. Maybe someone more experienced will have some better, more precise ideas.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Need more background on the budgies. Where did they come from, age and have they been to a vet yet? Were they flying before? Please be careful of any other pets you may have. Budgies that cant fly are in danger from other animals.

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
Need more background on the budgies. Where did they come from, age and have they been to a vet yet? Were they flying before? Please be careful of any other pets you may have. Budgies that cant fly are in danger from other animals.
I asked his background, she seller said that they breed budgies by themselves, they don't buy them from anyone but I don't know how true it was, he kept him in a very short cage with 3other budgies. He never fly before, and I don't think he took him to a vet, I saw few unhealthy budgies in a separate cage, I asked him why don't you take them to a vet, he answered like diseases are quite common for budgies, diseases are come and go for them he said something shizz like that.

Budgie which I took, his looks are very similar to my passed away budgie, so I took him without having any doubts. He is brave, active and everything is quite good expect flying:(

donutweall

Walking the driveway
None of my budgies were good fliers when I got them, but with lots of out of cage free flight time they've improved dramatically. I think it's a skill they have to practice before they get good.

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
None of my budgies were good fliers when I got them, but with lots of out of cage free flight time they've improved dramatically. I think it's a skill they have to practice before they get good.
Thankyou:)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would think he’s recently broken them feathers that show damage which is causing him to have a lack of control while flying. @Ripshod

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
I would think he’s recently broken them feathers that show damage which is causing him to have a lack of control while flying. @Ripshod
Thankyou so much:) I think you're right:) He looks very healthy and active. Always chirping..

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He may never have learned to fly properly. Some of his feathers could be better. Looks like he needs practice but make sure the mirrors & windows are covered.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
That wing has taken some damage. I think you should take him to a vet for a health check. I'd also consider getting the vet to clip the left wing slightly to add some balance. That may make him unable to fly but that's safer than he is at the moment.
Is he in with your other budgies already?

Last edited:

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
That wing has taken some damage. I think you should take him to a vet for a health check. I also consider getting the vet to clip the left wing slightly to add some balance. That may make him unable to fly but that's safer than he is at the moment.
Is he in with your other budgies already?
Yes, he's in Quarantine, but I thought he's perfectly good, he is very active so, yesterday I let him out of his cage, Daily I open all the cage doors at 10am to 10pm. In that time I let him out too, I shouldn't have done that, I'm worried about his health status, because he kissed two of my other male birds.

I observe he is friendly with my male birds, females are warning him not to get closer to them, but male birds are friendly with him, today I don't let him out because he is hitting to the walls while trying to fly. He's friendly with me too, without any tame.

Yes, I will take him to a vet today,. I kept an eye on him, I don't observe any signs of dullness in him. He's chirping like anything al the time. I will take him to a vet for health check up and wing clip.. Thankyou Ripshod❤ you're always suggest me helpful advices. ❤❤

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes, he's in Quarantine, but I thought he's perfectly good, he is very active so, yesterday I let him out of his cage, Daily I open all the cage doors at 10am to 10pm. In that time I let him out too, I shouldn't have done that, I'm worried about his health status, because he kissed two of my other male birds.

I observe he is friendly with my male birds, females are warning him not to get closer to them, but male birds are friendly with him, today I don't let him out because he is hitting to the walls while trying to fly. He's friendly with me too, without any tame.

Yes, I will take him to a vet today,. I kept an eye on him, I don't observe any signs of dullness in him. He's chirping like anything al the time. I will take him to a vet for health check up and wing clip.. Thankyou Ripshod❤ you're always suggest me helpful advices. ❤❤
Is his quarantine cage in the same room as your other birds cages?

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
Yes.. in the same room, till yesterday, his cage is opposite side of other cages, today move it beside of one of the cage.. why? Should I have done anything wrong?.

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
I think the seller guy using him for breeding purpose only, he kept him in a very small cage, with him I saw 2 females and a male, I meant 2 pair of budgies, and 2 breeding boxes( Clay pots), and a perch, There is no space for even fly for a nano second. Maybe it is a half feet cage, there is no space to fly for a nano second. There are other cages too, those cages are somewhat bigger, and bulk of budgies inside those cage, and no breeding boxes inside those cage, I think he separated 2 pairs for breeding purpose.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I see a new feather coming in - it's shorter than the surrounding feathers. He may be in the middle of moulting his flight feathers so be very careful about clipping anything. You don't want to clip a new feather when the old feather on the other wing may be moiulted soon. And yes, I know that feathers should be moulted symmetrically but it doesn't always happen.

Your bird is not in quarantine if he's sharing an air space and interacting with other birds. Even if his cage is on the opposite side of the room, they're all sharing the same air. Some diseases are airborne, some are spread through parasites and some are spread through shared equipment or on your hands and clothes. If he was carrying a disease, your existing birds have now been exposed.

True quarantine requires a completely separate airspace - at the very least, a different, well-ventilated room but ideally a different building. The new bird(s) must not interact with any of your existing birds, and you should not swap toys, bowls or other things between them. You must wash and disinfect your hands before handling or caring for each separate group of birds. Ideally you should also change clothes.

You must tell the vet that this bird hasn't been quarantined from your existing flock.

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
I think I see a new feather coming in - it's shorter than the surrounding feathers. He may be in the middle of moulting his flight feathers so be very careful about clipping anything. You don't want to clip a new feather when the old feather on the other wing may be moiulted soon. And yes, I know that feathers should be moulted symmetrically but it doesn't always happen.

Your bird is not in quarantine if he's sharing an air space and interacting with other birds. Even if his cage is on the opposite side of the room, they're all sharing the same air. Some diseases are airborne, some are spread through parasites and some are spread through shared equipment or on your hands and clothes. If he was carrying a disease, your existing birds have now been exposed.

True quarantine requires a completely separate airspace - at the very least, a different, well-ventilated room but ideally a different building. The new bird(s) must not interact with any of your existing birds, and you should not swap toys, bowls or other things between them. You must wash and disinfect your hands before handling or caring for each separate group of birds. Ideally you should also change clothes.

You must tell the vet that this bird hasn't been quarantined from your existing flock.
Oh really.. I don't know diseases spread through air. You have told me really important information, thanks alot.. I will do what you have suggested. I will shift him to an another room right now, and I will tell to the vet as what you said. I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow morning. Thanks alot for the valuable information. I will take vet's suggestion for clipping wings as you said.. thankyou

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A full quarantine is 30-60 days.

It might be worth moving the new bird into full quarantine, but you must remember that your existing birds have already been exposed. You must watch them very very carefully for any sign of illness or that something isn't right.

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
A full quarantine is 30-60 days.

It might be worth moving the new bird into full quarantine, but you must remember that your existing birds have already been exposed. You must watch them very very carefully for any sign of illness or that something isn't right.
Sure, I have also kept an eye to all my birds . I shifted him to a separate room. Thankyou for your valuable suggestions. I will watch them all carefully.