• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new birdie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
  • We were given a pearly conure (i think it is) as a gift this morning. I will post photos soon. It is so tame and a real little snuggle bug, but just a little scared. We have got him or her in quarantine now. The old lady who gave him/her to us wants us to please keep the name that she gave him.....Pretty Ben. (I do not know about that)...even though she loved the little one to bits and one can see there was a bond between them she felt he would be better off with us where he has interaction with other birds. I am trying to figure out when he was hatched by his leg band but i am clueless with such things as i dont know how to read them (hc01D13106). He needs alot of work in regards to proper diet etc. Only lived on seed and now and then some apple. His beak is long as he had no chewing toys in his cage....and so are his claws. I do not know what his weight should be so i quickly looked up on the internet. They apparantly should weigh anything between 79grams and 89grams. I weighed "Pretty Ben" and he only weighs 53grams.....his keel bone is prominant he feels bony. I cannot wait to try some nice veggies rice and pastas on him.
    Now i have 12 birdies altogether.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow Liz, that is awesome that you took this fid in. I hope he/she thrives with your TLC. :laughing12:

Ashley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
I love that you took in this baby. I am sure he will thrive in your care. Good luck and keep us updated

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Congrats on the new birdie.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
  • We were given a pearly conure (i think it is) as a gift this morning. I will post photos soon. It is so tame and a real little snuggle bug, but just a little scared. We have got him or her in quarantine now. The old lady who gave him/her to us wants us to please keep the name that she gave him.....Pretty Ben. (I do not know about that)...even though she loved the little one to bits and one can see there was a bond between them she felt he would be better off with us where he has interaction with other birds. I am trying to figure out when he was hatched by his leg band but i am clueless with such things as i dont know how to read them (hc01D13106). He needs alot of work in regards to proper diet etc. Only lived on seed and now and then some apple. His beak is long as he had no chewing toys in his cage....and so are his claws. I do not know what his weight should be so i quickly looked up on the internet. They apparantly should weigh anything between 79grams and 89grams. I weighed "Pretty Ben" and he only weighs 53grams.....his keel bone is prominant he feels bony. I cannot wait to try some nice veggies rice and pastas on him.
    Now i have 12 birdies altogether.
I have never heard of a pearly conure, could it be a pearly cockatiel? Or maybe there is a pearly conure but I have never heard of it. It does sound like he is underweight. You might consider keeping him separated from your other birds by quaranting him. That way if there is a health problem that can spread your other guys will be safe. Can you post a picture of him?

Vicki

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
A new birdie to make meals for!

Pretty Ben (and I do like that name) sounds like he will be watching for some tastey morsels to come his way!

Congrats on your new bird!
Can you post pics for us please, I know I would love to see Pretty Ben.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I have never heard of a pearly conure, could it be a pearly cockatiel? Or maybe there is a pearly conure but I have never heard of it. It does sound like he is underweight. You might consider keeping him separated from your other birds by quaranting him. That way if there is a health problem that can spread your other guys will be safe. Can you post a picture of him?
Flickr Photo Download: Kiwi

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz

Vicki
Hi,
As soon as he has settled in i will posts pics of him. He is defniatly pearly conure....I have got him in quarantine...30-45 days.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
THank you so much for taking this baby in! I am looking forward to seeing pics soon!

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
My questions are:- What may they eat? The same as my sun conure? What is their ideal weight? (I think this little one is underweight....only 53grams). What toys do they like? Do they get along with other birds in the house? (budgies, cockatiels, ringneck and sun conure)or do they like being on their own? Does the male look differant from the female...as i would like to know if he is really a he or perhaps a she? How often do they molt? And last but not least i do not know where in South Africa i can find out about the band around his leg as i would like to know what the inscription means.....HC01D131 6as i would love to know his age as well?
Thankyou'
Liz

oddbird

Walking the driveway
im so glad you got a new birdy friend :) I love the name pretty ben :):heart:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
My questions are:- What may they eat? The same as my sun conure? What is their ideal weight? (I think this little one is underweight....only 53grams). What toys do they like? Do they get along with other birds in the house? (budgies, cockatiels, ringneck and sun conure)or do they like being on their own? Does the male look differant from the female...as i would like to know if he is really a he or perhaps a she? How often do they molt? And last but not least i do not know where in South Africa i can find out about the band around his leg as i would like to know what the inscription means.....HC01D131 6as i would love to know his age as well?
Thankyou'
Liz
Hang tight, someone will help you out here. My guess is that they can eat what your sun conure eats. Here is a write up on them:

Pearly Conures: Species Information and Photos

PEARLY CONURE Pyrrhura perlata lepida

Vicki

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
i love you Liz...if people here only knew how wonderful you really are...

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Congrats on the new addition! And thank you for taking him in :hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month