• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My New Bird

RadLad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
RadLad
So, I'm a first time cockatiel owner and I'm so worried about my 2 month old cockatiel.

We got him yesterday, and obviously, he just sat on his perch the whole day, sometimes would move from perch to perch, chew on the perch and preen. So we thought he was already adjusting quite well.

I woke up this morning to find him sitting on the cage, he was slightly puffed up but not all the way. His face looks normal, he wasnt squinting, and he would occaisionally chirp/squawk. He'd also grind his beak.

He still hasn't eaten or drank (I think) so I'm very worried. Here's a picture of him.

20190607_060622.jpg

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
Please do not be worried at all. Everything you mentioned is normal for a new bird. It will take he or she some time to get use to his new home and surroundings. By him grinding his beak, that's just a sign that the baby is content. I might also add that is a very beautiful baby!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :fairy2:

Your bird is beautiful! I agree with Robert, the things you describe are typical of a very young bird going to a new home.
Beak grinding is good :)

Congratulations on your new family member :starshower1:

RadLad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
RadLad
Thank you so much! I thought he was sick, but I'm very relieved.

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
Your very welcome. From that one picture you posted, I would say you have a very healthy looking bird!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He'll adjust soon enough.
Are you feeding him what the breeder was feeding him? You could start with his familiar diet and then switch it up with some fruit and veggies as he becomes more adjusted.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's in a new home with unfamiliar people and objects and is probably a bit scared. New birds will sometimes not want to eat or drink at first. Do you know what he was eating at the breeder's or wherever you got him from and are you 100% sure he is fully weaned? It's a good idea to feed him the same foods that he was getting previously and then slowly transitioning to the diet you will be providing.
He's a beautiful 'tiel, btw.

RadLad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
RadLad
Thank you for the wonderful suggestions!

Yes he's fully weaned, he can eat by himself already. For his usual diet, he was given mixed seeds, grinded protein, and vegetables dipped in a mineral concentrate.

What I have right now are mixed seeds and pellets. My breeder told me where to buy his usual diet and I'm currently working on it.

Sadly, in our area no one sells millet sprig.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I think you should offer a dish with just seed while keeping the pellet dish as well, unless you are sure he likes pellets.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would leave out the mineral supplement and concentrate on providing him with a large variety of fresh veggies with some fresh fruit: sugar snap peas are adored by my 13 birds! Also pomegranate arils.
They get a lot of protein from raw unsalted nuts. The approach is to provide a wide variety of fresh foods, just as they would get in the wild.
Enjoy your baby and keep those pictures coming!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Congratulations on your new baby! Sounds like he is adjusting well. A wellness check with a vet is always a good idea.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Your tiel is adorable! If she has droppings, she is eating. :) Sometimes baby tiels regress when they come to a new home, even if weaned. So just keep an eye on her to make sure she's eating.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I would leave out the mineral supplement and concentrate on providing him with a large variety of fresh veggies with some fresh fruit: sugar snap peas are adored by my 13 birds! Also pomegranate arils.
They get a lot of protein from raw unsalted nuts. The approach is to provide a wide variety of fresh foods, just as they would get in the wild.
Enjoy your baby and keep those pictures coming!
Amen

RadLad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
RadLad
Great news! Loki (their name) is finally eating! He started eating the pellet/seed mix I gave, and he also isn't picky, whew! He didn't eat the carrot I left him last night.

It's the third day since we got him, and he chirps a lot more often. He'd also play with the toys in the cage, and attempt to hop on the swing (but can't seem to master it).

What I haven't seen Loki do so far is drink. Hope he/she does so soon.

20190608_112540.jpg

RadLad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
RadLad
I have a question,, if a cockatiel has its crest in the middle (not raised up or flat on his head), he preens and looks at you often; Is that an indication that he's getting used to/comfortable to you?