• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My neighbor has proved that he is an IDIOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Crystal
Check out this link: Hazleton man must move pet gator out of city shop - News - Standard Speaker

Thats right...A GATOR.

He had it in his backyard for a few days and moved it to his "business".

Now he must move it out. Conyngham (where he plans to move it) has an ordinance against excotic pets but our town does not.

So, I'm guessing that hes going to end up brining it back to our little town. I worry for my pets and the neighbors children.

This idiot lives one door down from me.

I forgot to mention that this "man" has other animals (dogs & cats) that he doesn't take care of.
WTF is wrong with people?

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sherry
that looks like a caiman not a gator and if it is they get 6 foot long and have very nasty tudes when breeding season hits and i personaly think if people are going to own those types of animals thats dangerouse they should be made to have permits and show proof of a well non exscape cages or pens for them and they should also do home visits to inspect them some states they are not allowed as pets anymore becouse of ppl not taken proper care of them or they let them loose i my self have worked around them to know they are fast and can be nasty buggers when they want to be and a cat or dog being small is idea lunch for any of them if they get hungery anuff and not well fed they get very costly to feed most feed live chickens and rabbits or huge rats to them witch is a sick thing to see or hear when there being eaten so i dont much blame you for being upset that it lives a few doors down all it takes is one time that man to be careless and it gets loose

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I hope he is able to provide a large enough habitat for an alligator and properly take care of one. But seeing how you say he doesnt take care of his current pets, that has me getting worried. If he doesnt take care of his cats and dogs, then the gator wont bne properly taken care of, which will make it dangerous.

But I think your pets and the neighborhood children should be fine as long as they stay out of his yard. :hug8:As long as everyone is aware that he has a large reptile in his backyard or home, they should be ok. But If he keeps it in the backyard, I honestly dont think a 'gator can survive the outdoors in Conyngham PA... poor thing.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Whoa! I'd be a bit concerned.. especially for his current pets.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
What I dont appreciate about this story is that they simply say "You have so many days to get rid of it" - Arent they concerned a man of his calibre could harm or abuse the animal in an affort to avoid a fine? Why wouldnt they confiscate the illegal animal??? So what if his neighborhood allows it, THEY dont, and when they found it, they should have turned it over to animal control as its illegal to have it at all where they found it.....doesnt make sense...poor animal

CrystalS

Real Name
Crystal
It seems I don't know what I'm doing lol. I can't figure out how to quote you guys..

Anyway....

KAT: I totally agree with you. There should be more strict laws. This man is careless in everything he does. I'm not sure that he even plans an enclosure in his backyard besides his fence. I think he plans to just let it walk around freely.

MERCEDEZ: You're right...That poor animal would never be able to survive NEPA winters. All of us stay away from his yard but his own dogs get out!

RENAE: I agree! His dogs are a small breed (can't think of it right now). He has about 4 of them and his yard is very small. Its about the size of my kitchen which isn't big.

KIM: I TOTALLY agree. They should have taken it immediately.

Thank goodness I live next door to a councilman, across the street from a councilwoman and across the street from the mayors parents! Hopefully they are figuring something out.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I agree! His dogs are a small breed (can't think of it right now). He has about 4 of them and his yard is very small. Its about the size of my kitchen which isn't big.
Why didnt they take it away??? If he has such a small yard, how will he take care of it? And what about his dogs that go into the yard.

And when its winter time, where will he keep it when its big?

Gators grow FAST, and within 5-10 years, if properly care for, should be full grown 10-14+ft.

I would voice my complaints to your city.

CrystalS

Real Name
Crystal
Why didnt they take it away??? If he has such a small yard, how will he take care of it? And what about his dogs that go into the yard.

And when its winter time, where will he keep it when its big?

Gators grow FAST, and within 5-10 years, if properly care for, should be full grown 10-14+ft.

I would voice my complaints to your city.
That was my question.

He had a dog that lived at his business so now that the "gator" is around the poor dog is living in a run in his backyard. I didn't know about this additional dog until recently.

I don't know if you know how cold it gets here in the winter or how much snow we get but my guess would be in his house? Maybe his basement?

I'm definitely going to the next council meeting.

We have made MANY calls on this person concerning his animals but nothing has been done. I'm in one of those towns that has 3 stoplights. Animal control is pretty much useless.

The council recently took him to court for his backyard looking like a junkyard but somehow he got away with a warning.

Magic

Real Name
Sherry
i will tell you why they dont take it away they have to prove its not being well cared for they have alot of weird laws anymore when it comes to animal control when it comes to a reptile it has to be proven the animal isnt fed or watered or living in poor conditions befor they can remove it so im sure thats why he was given time to get rid of the animal but the stupid thing is they didnt bother asking for him to release it over to them probly becouse they didnt know what to do with it and in most cases the animals suffer being put down becouse they cant find no where for it to go

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I would be upset as well. I hope that he builds a secure enough fence.

Matt

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
If Animal Control takes it they will euthanize it. That's what they do here to alligators, and they come from here.:(

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
The guy looks like an idiot. Feel sorry for the Caiman and all the other animals and kids. Maybe he is the one the city should get rid of!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am glad that the gator will not be living next to you.

Matt

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, having worked in a zoo and being in charge of animal husbandry I fully believe aliigators and caimens do not belong in private homes. The alligator in this story is the size of the gator that bit me in m stomach. My fault, as my hands were wet and he went into a roll and grabbed me. They grow very fast and have large appetites. He should be eating chicken quarters and rats at that age and size. They need large ponds to allow muscle development for swimming. A large basking area, not just a board. They are very fast wen they run and can whip that tail like lightening. Again, I am thinking of the alligator not the man.
Permits are a must! Public and animal safety is a must! The reptile needs to be placed in a sanctuary, reptile rescue or zoo.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Unless I'm blind and don't see the 'spike' on top of each of his eyes I'd say it's not a caiman but is an alligator. Either way it's not a very good personal pet, and I feel sorry for the the animal when he gets too big for the owner to handle. He's going to need a good-sized environment to be kept properly.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I blame Miami Vice for people thinking they can own any type of Gator as a pet

Don't get me wrong I LOVED THE SHOW but seriously a Gator as a pet on a Yacht no less

Made every one and their brothers think owning a Gator is cool. and its just escalated from there

but glad this gator isn't coming into your neighborhood, I highly doubt a normal dog fence could keep one in a yard

Maybe this guy needs to be put in a small room with The T.V. on and only shown all the bad things Gators do - like those Gator catching shows They make sure to tell every one Gators Ain't Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.