• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My mum inherited a canary need care advice

yoko

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there,
My Mum has had this canary for years. He was my Grandmother's.

I think he is male(based on his singing ?) and he must be getting older.
Basically I'm worried that hes lonely also I want to do the best for him we need advice.
I find it quite strange to see a bird in a cage and further more to see him alone.
The cage is 40x30x30cm high (15.74x11.81x11.81 inches high).
He has two perches in the middle and one up the top. He has a mirror which he often sits next to or talks to.
As the sun goes down he rubs his beak on the side of the mirror and makes chattering noises.
It has seemed to me that he looks lonely.

After reading a few website there seems to be conflicting info.

Some people say they are fine on their own and are antisocial birds but why is he always at the mirror ?
other people say to put them with other birds.

I don't want to buy another bird as he probably hasn't many years left and we would end up with another lone bird.
I have considered finding someone who would take him who has other birds but I'm not sure if thats best for him or even if someone would take an old bird.

Aside from that I would like to know if the cage is the best.
Also every time I get too close to his cage or open the door he gets quite nervous and makes this hi pitched warning like sound.
I tried to take him out of the cage one time so he could try and fly but he ended up panicking and ran into windows then just sat on the carpet for a long time looking lost and confused.

What should I do ?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
hmmmm... this is one of those 'everyone has an opinion' type things.

First things first: Your enclosure is far too small. period. Birds fly... imagine being in a box and not able to walk around. Luckily with Canaries, you have lots of options, so try to have fun with it! you can make the cage really esthetically pleasing. Im in the camp of 'if you like the cage- you will like the bird'. Find a window and a nice enclosure.

Second: Canaries *can be left alone. The mirror is the perfect companion.... doesnt talk back, no need to share resources, and generally does whatever you want. LOL

Third: I preach about this, but make sure you have a good diet. For 5 bucks more, you can upgrade the diet, and this will make the bird much happier.

In summary: get a bigger enclosure, and feed some fresh items and your bird wont seem lonely, and will have a new lease on life :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Here are attractive options:
Screen Shot 2015-05-08 at 2.20.36 PM.png
In general bigger is better. But if you just want a happier bird, all these are good options that dont scream 'BIRD CAGE' lol.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
sweetie2.jpg Canaries sing to find a mate. They do perfectly well alone unless in a large aviary with other birds. I would limit the mirror thing because he may think he has a mate and stop singing.
A good seed diet and a variety of fruits and vegies,something different every day like for "breakfast" is essential. A little scrambled or hard boiled egg and basically anything you eat or give to other birds in the house can be tried. Canaries like to fly back and forth so the 2 cages above are great but the round one may throw off his balance.
Several perches and maybe a swing are good and they also like to bathe. I put a small dish in my canaries cage every morning so he doesn't have to use his water cup.
Know that they go through a molting season which can start in July and last as long as September. At this time their singing will probably be very limited and adding a dish with molting food is needed. It was said to me by a breeder that a molt is very hard o them and a choice of the soft food is essential since it may be hard for them to digest regular seed.
I have canaries all my life and yes they can be a little skitish so don't take it personally LOL.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Canaries can be sociable, but they need plenty of space and separate cages would be best. On the other hand, since you don't want another bird, then he should be fine on his own. You can start letting him out of his cage for some free flight. You can start in a small room that is bird proofed and just open the cage and put food outside so he comes out on his own. He might not come out for a long time if he's not used to it (I had one pair that took a year to leave the cage).

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Canaries can be sociable, but they need plenty of space and separate cages would be best. On the other hand, since you don't want another bird, then he should be fine on his own. You can start letting him out of his cage for some free flight. You can start in a small room that is bird proofed and just open the cage and put food outside so he comes out on his own. He might not come out for a long time if he's not used to it (I had one pair that took a year to leave the cage).

Good advice. :)

Find something the bird really loves to eat and offer it only offer is outside the cage, I often place fresh corn on the cob or dandelion leaves outside of the cage and didn't leave any food inside his cage when trying to lure my canary out of the cage. It didn't take long for the bird to figure out where the goodies are.

Just know that you have to sit very still in the room when the cage door is open to allow the bird out. Sit back with a book or play on your computer and ignore the bird and he will come out sooner. If you are walking in and out or others are coming in the room the bird will stay in its cage as it knows this is a safe place for him.

yoko

Checking out the neighborhood
Mr Peepers, wyrinth , nellysmom , mythic55
awww your all so great ! I really appreciate each of you so much for taking the time to help the little bird out.
I will definitely take on board what you have said .:)