• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My mixed species aviary build!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hello all, as promised (@finchly @Kiwi's Mom ) here is my build thread for my new aviary, currently under constuction!

We began today (after the posts finally arrived on friday) and have started clearing the shed. We have no pictures as yet, I find pictures of empty shed with spiders in every corner boring to look at to be honest!!

Hopefully something interesting will happen in the not so distant future and we can get some pictures sorted!

Ali

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Good luck with your project!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Can't wait to see pictures when the constuction starts!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I know this should really be a separate thread it the toys and cages part of the forum, but what toys would be best for an aviary? I was thinking mainly rope toys to withstand the weather. Any other ideas??

Thanks

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
You can hang bins of toys at the sheltered end, and gather them in the evenings. The ones they can shred probably won't last long, but you can move them out of the elements if it rains.

I'm not sure, just suggestions.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I know this should really be a separate thread it the toys and cages part of the forum, but what toys would be best for an aviary? I was thinking mainly rope toys to withstand the weather. Any other ideas??

Thanks
Maybe make a half-roof and keep the toys on the covered side of the Aviary?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
What's that, a post?? Progresssss!!! IMG_20200512_180626.jpg

The wall is down and the posts are up! The old wall, the bit that is in the base anyway, is going to be crushed up and used as hardcore for the concrete base to go on. You can just about see the shed, which, fingers crossed will have magically vanished by this time Sunday. IMG_20200512_180632.jpg Oh yeah, and there's a massive pile of useless rubble, but there is plenty more where that came from!

Next step: bye bye shed!

Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
IMG_20200516_182201.jpg
The shed has gone (well it's in pieces rather than a shed, so I suppose thats a start!)!

And also wood is on the post...
IMG_20200516_182151.jpg .

Check in again tomorrow as we plan to do some more.

Next step: Roofing frame and maybe more.

In case anyone was wondering, the blocks in the base will be crushed at a later date and used as hardcore for the concrete base.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hello all, we have done some things today, but by the time we were done, the light was terrible for pictures. I will post pics of today's work at some point tomorrow.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I am also looking at getting some plants ordered whilst we can!

The plants we would like are as follows:
Umbrella bamboo
Curry plant
Rosemary
Eucalyptus globulus
Yucca filamentosa
White spruce
Some type of fern
Acorus gramineus (ornamental grass)
Cortadaria selloana (o g)
Pony tails (o g)

At a a cost of: £142.90

Oh yeah, and that is without delivery, which could be anything between 15 quid and 75!!

Ali

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am also looking at getting some plants ordered whilst we can!

The plants we would like are as follows:
Umbrella bamboo
Curry plant
Rosemary
Eucalyptus globulus
Yucca filamentosa
White spruce
Some type of fern
Acorus gramineus (ornamental grass)
Cortadaria selloana (o g)
Pony tails (o g)

At a a cost of: £142.90

Oh yeah, and that is without delivery, which could be anything between 15 quid and 75!!

Ali
Just wondering of you know of any small indoors plant that I could put on Kiwi and Blizzard's playstand? (I'm totally okay with it getting destroyed :lol:)

• Haha
Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
There are some good websites online, some of which have houseplants, but not all. Worth a look for more options :)

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Thanks
Our aviary (6'Wx12'Lx7.5'H) is under roof, but the lower sections do get rained on. If a storm blows in they go top the top, which is also wire & hang from it until the storm passes. They hate getting rained on. We have a rope boing, rope orb, climbing net, hanging coconuts & a swing. Wood, rope & PVC perches. A few of the plastic links, a pvc toy, a wood block toy. A plastic boomerang with acrylic shapes attached. 4 water dishes. I do not feed my birds outside, as it draws in bees. My B&G Macaw got stung twice in the face by yellow jackets & had to be rushed to the vet for a shot. We left the bottom ground/grass, in case they fell or jumped they would hit hard concrete. My U2 is a jumper. We had a concrete footer poured & set the aviary on it to keep it off the ground. They like to rip up the grass & dig holes in the dirt too. We take everything in for winter. We used to take the aviary down every fall, but due to age & health issues we now let it up year around. It's powder coated.

I'd suggest adding toys, perches, etc., depending on what your birds species & likes are.

We have a B&G Macaw, CAG & U2. My birds do not get along, but they all go out to the aviary at the same time & keep apart from each other. Occasionally the CAG gets bully & tries to go after the other 2. In which case she gets taken inside & put in her cage. We take the birds out late morning, once the temp reaches 70, & bring them in before dark. I don't take them out if it's raining or were to get bad storms.

The photo is from when we first got our aviary back in 2003. We've since changed the roof & footer & what we hang inside.
Aviary1393.jpg

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Our favourite perch type is bamboo canes (the ones made for plants to grow up) as they are never the same size and great for bird's feet.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Roofing beams go up on half the aviary...
IMG_20200520_115702.jpg

And the tree has been taken down partially. We found that the seed pods are the only poisonous bit, so the stump we decided to leave in as a natural perch and feature.
IMG_20200520_115653.jpg

next step: the remaining posts (due to go in on Friday)

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Roofing beams go up on half the aviary...
View attachment 339132

And the tree has been taken down partially. We found that the seed pods are the only poisonous bit, so the stump we decided to leave in as a natural perch and feature.
View attachment 339133

next step: the remaining posts (due to go in on Friday)
Too bad you coulden't keep the whole tree, but now you could screw on some other perches to make a "java tree" Maybe you could cut it right before the bottom and repurpose it into a "java tree" like some of the playstands you were looking at earlier.