• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My millipedes! (DUW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
... Some of them at least. Millipedes came up in another thread and it made me decide to post a few pics of mine :D

Ok, ok. No more.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
holy canoly erg..ah..good shuts but wow...i have no words..yikes

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
terrific shots and interesting creatures - do you raise them, I noticed a couple pics look as if they are inside

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
Yes, I raise several species of millipede. All of the ones here are current or past pets.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Wow! Very cool. I'm gonna have to show these to my son. He loves bugs. He caught a little millipede outside this past summer but it didn't last long. :( Think it got too dry.
Great shots. What interesting little eyes they have.
Thanks for sharing the pics.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Those are great shots, but man! I don't think I could do it!! They give me the creepy crawlies!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, those are very interesting, and beautiful too!

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great pics! Such wonderful colors. I love millies, being that I worked with them at the zoo.

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
Wow. Very cool. I saw one about a month ago after a rain and I was shocked because I didn't know SoCal had such a creature.:scared2: What got you interested in them? Since you're holding them I'm assuming they are not aggressive but have you been bitten? I think I'd be a bit shy about holding one.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Wow. Very cool. I saw one about a month ago after a rain and I was shocked because I didn't know SoCal had such a creature.:scared2: What got you interested in them? Since you're holding them I'm assuming they are not aggressive but have you been bitten? I think I'd be a bit shy about holding one.
I am no expert but I think it is centipedes that bite, not millipedes. People keep those, too, though...

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
They're much cooler looking when they're not running at me full speed....lol

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
Birdasaurus, I think you're thinking of centipedes. Millipedes move slowly & are not defensive. ;)

To answer a few Q's:
- I got interested in them because my science teacher had one as a class pet and while it wasn't properly cared for in retrospect, it was a way cool critter. I've been keeping them about ten years now.
- They can bite just just like anything with a mouth, but they aren't inclined to and it doesn't hurt (I'd compare it to being pinched). They're detritivores, so their mouthparts are better designed for rotting wood, leaves, etc. than actually inflicting harm.
- As for how they are as pets, they're great! All you really need to do is fill a storage bin with coconut fiber or peat, throw down a thick layer of hardwood leaf mulch from outdoors, and mist them when things start getting a bit dry. You can pretty much feed them for free by giving them any leftover/spoiling fruits, veggies, and greens you may have, plus a constant supply of oak and other hardwood leaves. I feed my guys mostly leaves in fact and have had a lot of reproductive sucess.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Great shots!!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Great shots! I've never seen millipedes as pets, but we've got a few species here in the Pacific NW that I've come across on hikes and such. Really neat little guys.

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Wow! There are millipede morphs (color mutations)? I've never known anyone who keeps them, personally!

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
Nope, no morphs. Well, except for albinism in Narceus americanus. The specimens pictured represent a variety of native and non-native species from New York, Florida, California, Africa, the Phillipenes, etc.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
cool pictures... never seen close ups like that. the blue/red one was kind of cute... lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.