• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Macaw is spending long periods of time at the bottom of his cage

Pierce

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I have a Scarlet Macaw named Rufus, he's nearing 50 and I've had him for 15 years. For the past month or so he has started spending prolonged periods of time at the bottom of his cage, sleeping down there and spending most of the day down there only really coming up for food and water, he doesent react much even when i smother him in pets, keeps scaring the shizz out of me because it usually takes him 10-15 seconds to react to me waking him up down there.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the forum!

Rufus is at an age where he may have arthritis which makes perching uncomfortable, and which reinforces having a variety of options available (especially flat platform perches).

Have you had him to your avian vet recently -- either to discuss general wellness or inquire about medication to increase his comfort?

Is he flighted and does he have ample opportunity to explore outside his enclosure (if so, how does he behave in those situations)?

Pierce

Checking out the neighborhood
He's never been able to fly, full Rio he never learned when he was a baby. I just now made him climb up his cage for food hes shaking often but its not cold in here, I let him out of his large cage a couple times a week but not nearly as often as I used to because him and the dogs dont get along, they dont fight or anything the dogs just scared of him. The only avian center is a 3 hour drive away he hasnt been in a long time.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would say it's time for an avian checkup. My first guess would be cataracts. Both my elderly birds started sleeping on the floor when they couldn't see well. A checkup will let you know if it's something you can improve for your sweetie.