• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My lovely Lagatha

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Lagatha has been with me now for about 6 yrs which would make her around 12..she came from a hoarded house via the spca...she never let's me touch her but will take treats from my hand ...I have tried but she gets so stressed she starts shaking..so we have a understanding she doesn't bite me and I won't touch her unless needed..and this has worked since I got her..she is my far away love bug :smileflower:

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww she's such a beautiful girlie :heart:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
She will learn...

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
What a kind soul you are to accept Lagatha as she is and to respect her. Many would have lost patience but that makes you the perfect person for her. She is simply lovely.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
She’s beautiful. Always have hope she will want that first head scritch . After that she may warm up for more.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww, poor girl! I don't want to imagine the trauma they go through before coming to us. It took full one year for Inca to accept scritches. But he doesn't step up and is mortally afraid of any stick or hand held perch.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
MC would come out on his own to his door. I would put a tree stand there next to him. He'd climb on, I'd say"hold on" and wheel him away from the cage.
Then MC would be willing for skritches. Sometime we went to T stick, then to my lap, then to step up on arm . . .

It helps to treat them each time they've done something new, you're proud of them, say so and reward.

I have friends that transfer an Amazon on a round rope perch. That's what their Amazon tolerates.

You just have to see what YOUR bird wants to do.

You'll figure it out.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Well she comes out of her cage and sit on the door during out of cage times and then she gets some soaked nuts and goes back in her cage by herself.. :smileflower:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Lagatha was trying to mimic Rhaenyra this morning with the growling while playing with her toys ..it took her yrs before she would play but now she plays allot which makes my heart swell ..anytime she does bird things makes me smile cuz she was a perch potato for yrs and didnt do anything but eat and drink.. but about 2 yrs ago she started being a bird and play and move all over her cage ..it makes me so happy she is feeling good about where she is and acting like a normal bird .. its so hard when you get them from a home like she came from ...she was only at the SPCA for about 4 months before I got her and in this hoardered house for yrs before the SPCA ..Im so glad it was me and not someone else who could have pushed her beyond her limits and made her anxiety worse :swoon:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret growls..... then again, Secret lived in a household with dogs. Hate that ankle biter bark. Why couldn't she have picked up the doberman bark?

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
LOL..I hear ya my birds have taken on my lil dog bark and not the big dogs ..Its so cute but a deeper bark would be nice very once in a while :)

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Inca has picked up every wrong thing :lol: . He crows like a raven, honk like a car and when excited, he says 'shut up' (the last one he's learnt from my maid. She thought it s funny.) But, when he's alone, he practices cooing like a cuckoo:laugh:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Lagatha was trying to mimic Rhaenyra this morning with the growling while playing with her toys ..it took her yrs before she would play but now she plays allot which makes my heart swell ..anytime she does bird things makes me smile cuz she was a perch potato for yrs and didnt do anything but eat and drink.. but about 2 yrs ago she started being a bird and play and move all over her cage ..it makes me so happy she is feeling good about where she is and acting like a normal bird .. its so hard when you get them from a home like she came from ...she was only at the SPCA for about 4 months before I got her and in this hoardered house for yrs before the SPCA ..Im so glad it was me and not someone else who could have pushed her beyond her limits and made her anxiety worse :swoon:
There is something so amazing about a rescue parrot learning to love life again ! It fills ones soul with light to witness and be part of that!

Thank you do much for making that happen!

I hope it inspires others to make room for one more parrot in need.

My rescue Penny quaker was like this . It took years for her to learn to be a parrot again, to move around and engage with environment and other parrots.

Your story of Lagatha hits home and is beautiful .

kirstysa

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kirsty
I love that there are other people so passionate about these birds! I have come across 1 other person in Johannesburg, South Africa who has one. Everyone else seems to go for the Grey's. It's wonderful to be a part of this group!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I love my Amazons even if I can never handle them ..They have a very special place in my heart ...knowing that they both came from less then special homes I love their quirks and everything about them ...I will never give up on them :swoon: