• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my lovebirds fighting

ZuZu_24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zuha
Hi guys. Just a query. In the beginning, I put both my lovebirds in a cage together but they fought a lot so I tried and put them in different cages but they refuse to be separated they chirp at each other continuously and try to get out of the cage but then when I leave them alone together, Nebula (female) bites at Cherry's feet, and back sometimes, and he shrieks and flys around the cage while Nebula, weirdly, also gets scared when he does that. Do you have any idea on how to help them get along? FYI I am taking both of them to the vet later this week for a checkup :)

Oh and just a question if your lovie does do something really bad, do you do to make them understand what they did was bad?

Last edited:

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
@Zara knows everything lovebird...

ZuZu_24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zuha
Oh and just a question if your lovie does do something really bad, do you do to make them understand what they did was bad?
Sorry I meant 'what do you do to make them understand what they did was bad' heheheh

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Lovebirds are very chatty birds, that's just who they are. They hear a bird chirp and it's game over, peace and quiet is out the door.

It was good that you separated them in separate cages since Nebula is trying to be dominant and that's how toes get lost. What normally happens when she gets aggressive? Is Cherry on Nebul's cage? Are they fighting over you? Sadly they may never get along but you can mitigate incidents by observing them and finding out their triggers. They may require separate outside time. They eventually could get along but that could take years before they decide on a truce.

Lovebirds are very stubborn birds, I'm sure mine knows what she is doing wrong 70% but she just doesn't care. The other 30% she will fluff up at me, slowly unfluff and calm down. I get a lot of sass from her when I tell her no.

ZuZu_24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zuha
It was good that you separated them in separate cages since Nebula is trying to be dominant and that's how toes get lost. What normally happens when she gets aggressive? Is Cherry on Nebul's cage? Are they fighting over you?
The strange thing is that they refuse to be separated even if Nebula is on my shoulder and Cherry is in the cage, Cherry will try to get to Nebula, and then they'll start grooming each other. When Nebula gets aggressive, moody, or she sees Cherry on her perch, messing with her things, she'll aim for the feet and Cherry will fly around, shrieking. I'm not sure if its because of me though. They get along pretty well when they're with me or sitting on me.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
The strange thing is that they refuse to be separated even if Nebula is on my shoulder and Cherry is in the cage, Cherry will try to get to Nebula, and then they'll start grooming each other. When Nebula gets aggressive, moody, or she sees Cherry on her perch, messing with her things, she'll aim for the feet and Cherry will fly around, shrieking. I'm not sure if its because of me though. They get along pretty well when they're with me or sitting on me.
Sounds pretty typical if Cherry is touching Nebula's stuff. Is the perch Cherry playing with inside Nebula's.cage? When you tried to out them in the same cage was it Nebula's cage first or did you introduce them in a brand new cage?

ZuZu_24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zuha
Is the perch Cherry playing with inside Nebula's.cage? When you tried to put them in the same cage was it Nebula's cage first or did you introduce them in a brand new cage?
Yes, the perch is inside Nebula's cage and I introduced them in a brand new cage.
Right now, they both are in the same cage because if I put them in separate cages, they try to open the door and Nebula actually did open it and tried to enter Cherry's cage and so far they haven't fought a lot. Nebula is ok with Cherry as long as he doesn't mess with her stuff but I just wanted to know whether there is a technique or something that could make them get along.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How big is this cage? I know I´ve seeen that cage choice is not the best where you live. With lovebirds, the larger the cage the better, then you can kit it out with multiples; foods bowls, water bowls, fave toys etc. The larger space gives them the chance to move away from each other and not be constantly in the others way, somewthing which can provoke fighting bickering.

Are these your first lovebirds? Because mine will sometimes bicker, the hens go for the males toes (not too aggresssievely, but still nipping them). I know Jaime and Aldora were bickering last night an hour after I covered them for bed because I heard them.
The way they are with their partners is very different to how they are with others for eg my youngest, they really try to hurt him so I have to keep him away from them and their cages.

what do you do to make them understand what they did was bad
Lovebirds are very stubborn birds, I'm sure mine knows what she is doing wrong 70% but she just doesn't care. The other 30% she will fluff up at me, slowly unfluff and calm down. I get a lot of sass from her when I tell her no.
I agree. My birds are the same. They just don´t care about right or wrong. I give up on the whole ¨no¨ thing. Time has shown me it does nothing with my lovebirds.
What I do do is to try to change things so that the thing they did that was ¨bad¨, doesn´t happen again.

she sees Cherry on her perch, messing with her things,
Try duplicating those things so there are multiples.

ZuZu_24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zuha
How big is this cage? I know I´ve seeen that cage choice is not the best where you live. With lovebirds, the larger the cage the better, then you can kit it out with multiples; foods bowls, water bowls, fave toys etc. The larger space gives them the chance to move away from each other and not be constantly in the others way, somewthing which can provoke fighting bickering.

Are these your first lovebirds? Because mine will sometimes bicker, the hens go for the males toes (not too aggresssievely, but still nipping them).
I've attached the picture of the cage below and it is pretty big. They are my first lovebirds and I think they might be just bickering, now you've mentioned it, as I checked today and Nebula does not bite his toes too hard but Cherry overreacts, I suppose.

Thanks for all the help :heart:

Attachments

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I've attached the picture of the cage below and it is pretty big. They are my first lovebirds and I think they might be just bickering, now you've mentioned it, as I checked today and Nebula does not bite his toes too hard but Cherry overreacts, I suppose.

Thanks for all the help :heart:
Didnt you say one of their toes was bleeding in another post? I dont think you mentioned from what but was it from though.

elena_2004

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
Hi guys. Just a query. In the beginning, I put both my lovebirds in a cage together but they fought a lot so I tried and put them in different cages but they refuse to be separated they chirp at each other continuously and try to get out of the cage but then when I leave them alone together, Nebula (female) bites at Cherry's feet, and back sometimes, and he shrieks and flys around the cage while Nebula, weirdly, also gets scared when he does that. Do you have any idea on how to help them get along? FYI I am taking both of them to the vet later this week for a checkup :)

I have the same problem with my parrotlets. They fight when they re together, but they cant stop screaming when they re separated.

I would try putting them in a neutral space - so don't put them in each others cages as they will be territorial. Try a new, larger cage. It will be very helpful for them to have ample space where they can stay alone if they feel like it.

About the last part, though I don't have love birds, I do the same thing for my parrotlets and lorikeet - make them "acknowledge" that what they did was wrong. Don't shout at them, or hurt them obviously - just place them back in their cage and repeat a word which they will acossiate with. For example I always tell them " punishment" and gently put them back in their cage.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
- just place them back in their cage and repeat a word which they will acossiate with. For example I always tell them " punishment" and gently put them back in their cage.
The cage should not be used as punishment. It should be a fun, safe place for them.

I've attached the picture of the cage below
I feel that boredom could play a part in the issues you´re having. Adding maybe a boing for them to run up and down, some natural branches, and a variety of toys; get a good selection, a couple of shreddables, a couple of things with bells, a couple of things to fidget with, some foraging cups. Foraging is a great for birds.
Adding the toys and multiple branches will also create places to get away from the other bird when they want to.

ZuZu_24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zuha
Didnt you say one of their toes was bleeding in another post? I dont think you mentioned from what but was it from though.
Yes, Cherry's feet were bleeding but it wasn't from Nebula. I took her to the vet and got her medication and everything. She's much better now.

ZuZu_24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zuha
I feel that boredom could play a part in the issues you´re having. Adding maybe a boing for them to run up and down, some natural branches, and a variety of toys; get a good selection, a couple of shreddable's, a couple of things with bells, a couple of things to fidget with, some foraging cups. Foraging is a great for birds.
Adding the toys and multiple branches will also create places to get away from the other bird when they want to.
Ok, Thank you :D I'll get on that.

ZuZu_24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zuha
Quick question. How do you get your love to eat veggies? cause mine refuse to eat veggies and they're on a pelleted diet.