• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My lovebird pair along with their 2 babies passed away all of a sudden...heartbroken

qsyed

Moving in
Real Name
unknown
Title says it all - I had brought home a pair of lovebirds a year and a half ago as babies to which I spent alot alot of time with them to gain their trust and love, and we had become close.

Fast forward to last October when the couple gave a batch of two eggs for the first time - which successfully hatched and were as of today about 2 months old each.

Sad enough - the mother was breeding 4 more unhatched eggs. Parents were fine this morning and suddenly late evening - the mother came out of her nesting box - sat on the floor of the cage and passed away - followed by the male 15 min later. An hour later one of the babies dropped, then the second shortly.

Absolutely gutted and disappointed. Don't even have the words to describe the empty feeling!!!

Last edited:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry to hear of your loss.

I suggest you have at least one of them necropsied to find out what happened- all of them passing so close to each other leaves me thinking it is likely to be something toxic in the air or environment or some type of illness or disease that they have all contracted.

Either way, loosing 4 birds like this is of a concern, especially if you have other birds or are considering getting any more, you want to ensure this does not happen again.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh how awful, I’m so sorry.
:sadhug2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your losses.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Did you end up seeing a vet last time this happened?

I’m wondering if there is something in your home that is used that caused both the last and these recent deaths. The incidents sound very similar so I’m thinking it must be something in the environment.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. I too suspect there's something environmental going on for all of them to pass away at basically the same time.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
i just saw your post, I am truly sorry for your loss. I agree with other posters, there might be something in the environment that harmed them. What kind of skillets, pans do you use? Any air fresheners, cleaning products near them? The list is endless, parrots have very delicate respiratory systems, even an air fryer will kill them.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Wow I'm so sorry! Absolutely does sound environmental.