• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My lovebird is bobbing her tail?

Seraphenebirdo

Moving in
Real Name
Seraphene
I noticed that my lovebird Bootsie seems to be tail bobbing and sneezing (not a lot and with no mucus). She seems to be acting normal otherwise... She’s eating,playing,singing and bobbing her head. I’m so worried but my dad says she’s fine ( he’s worked with show pigeons before) I couldn’t imagine anything happening to my little birdie. I’ll take her to the vet ASAP but i need some questions answered?
1. Is this an early sign of a respiratory infection?
2. What are the most common causes of respiratory infections?
3. should I upload a video of the tail bobbing?

unfortunately I have to go to a funeral aswell over the weekend so I won’t be able to take her to the vet until I get back. Any answers would BE SOOO APPRECIATED..

Seraphenebirdo

Moving in
Real Name
Seraphene
I forgot to mention that she only sneezed twice and the bobbing isn’t like a big bob it’s only little ones. I’ve seen lovebirds in YouTube videos do similar? But I guess I might have to upload a video to show y’all and see what y’all think. Oh yeah and sometimes she doesn’t bob? AND AGAIN ALL ANSWERS REALLY APPRECIATED!!!

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like your bird is poorly.
Tail bobbing can occur when the bird is having trouble breathing. I´m sorry, I´m not a vet, so I can´t help you more than that. If I saw something out of the ordinary in my birds I would go straight to the vet. Better safe than sorry and all that.

Maybe a friend can take the bird to the vet for you under the circumstances?

I´m very sorry for your loss ❤ Losing someone is tough, if you find you are struggling, please reach out and talk to someone ❤

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The problem with birds is that a lot of sicknesses present with the same symptoms, so it's really impossible for us to tell you what the issue is through a few snippets of text and without being able to see the bird, do tests, and having the veterinarian experience to know how to interpret those results.

My vet lets me drop my bird off if I need to and then they'll check them out and give me a call when they know more. Then I can pick them up when I can. Is that something you could discuss with your vet?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I had parakeets for many years and the tail bobbing is a sign of respiratory infection. I had a little blue one that got it a few times. Only a vet can make the diagnosis and treatment. Treatment was easy, liquid antibiotics. I would not delay in getting the bird treated. Keep us posted on how it goes.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Please see a avian vet asap

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Could you post a youtube video of the tail bobbing? Birds tend to have a slight movement in their tail when breathing but it shouldn't be noticeable really.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad to hear she is ok!❤