• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My lovebird is biting me after I introduced her to a new lovebird

chotu_

Checking out the neighborhood
Okay so this is going to be a long post but I'm generally confused. So Kiwi, rosy-faced my 3-month-old lovebird, my "female" lovebird (according to a breeder) flew to my dad while he was standing outside and she was really tamed. This was 28 days ago. She was extremely sweet and used to come to me whenever she wanted and stuff but I felt she was getting too attached to her so I got her a male Fischer lovebird who's also around 3 months. His name is Blu. But when we got him home we realized he had an insane fear of hands probably because of the mishandling he got. He sits on my shoulder and eats from my hands but will not come on any hand by himself and runs away when a hand comes near him. I carry him a place to place on a perch on which he comes really nicely. I got him a week back.
Now the problem is, while they're getting along VERY well. Kiwi started biting our hands whenever we bring them near her for a step-up and then moves away which she never did before. And she's biting hard and today she drew a bit of blood. It's been happening for 4 days I believe. Blu doesn't bite, he bit me only once the first day when I had to grab him forcefully because he panicked flew and was about to come in the door but hasn't bit me since and I'm slowly trying to tame him.

Does anyone know what causes such a massive change in her? Should I keep them separately and see if that makes any change since it could be Blu's influence on Kiwi? My dad is suggesting taking her to a vet and seeing what they say. I feel so sad because she was such a tamed baby and didn't even bite strangers. I hope I can find answers here.

(Extra info: They're on a healthy diet of veggies, fruits, and rice. I give them seeds and spray millets in my hand just to hand tame blu. I try to give them 12 hours of undisturbed sleep and kiwi takes a one-hour power nap in my blanket every day.)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
he had an insane fear of hands
He sits on my shoulder and eats from my hands
I carry him a place to place on a perch on which he comes really nicely
I don´t think this is an extreme fear. some birds won´t come anywhere near humans at all, they won´t take food from hands or ride a perch. I think Blu is ok with humans but needs some time to adapt to your home, and time to build a relationship with you. Once he realises he can trust you he may just hop on your hand. Be sure to never force him, and keep at the perch, it´s great you have a way to move him where he is comfortable. Keep trying with the millet to build some trust, over time you can shorten the millet spray so he has to come closer, and eventually place a hand underneath. I made a video to help explain this. My model bird was starting to get full mid way through the vid! :rolleyes: and as he trusts me he was eating the millet near my fingers, where a new bird would likely eat from the tip of the millet. Use the table to add security for your bird, and the first time you put the hand under, lay it flat on the table, it will also stop you from moving and spooking your bird. Between each ¨stage¨, it could be hours, days, or weeks, each time it´s a new day and you come back to this, go back a few steps so you can build up;

Kiwi started biting our hands whenever we bring them near her for a step-up
And she's biting hard
Does anyone know what causes such a massive change in her?
I wonder if perhaps you are missing some signals she is displaying? She has a friend now, so the dynamics will change. Though even if the new bird isn´t tame, it shouldn´t affect your birds behaviour towards you. Try playing games you would play before, feed her from your hand, do things with her that you would do before. Watch out for any signs that she is unhappy, pulling her head back, fluffing/raising her feathers, hissing or clicking. If you notice she´s unhappy, back away and leave her be as to not make her bite you and reinforce biting. Feeding a lovebird from your hand is a relationship building exercise and a young bird is more receptive to it, so try offering her fave treats and see how you get on.

I´m curious how you are housing these birds?

chotu_

Hi! Thanks for responding! I'll definitely watch the video and I'm slowly trying to tame Blu I feel he's mostly scared of fingers since he plays around my hands and doesn't run away but the minute I bring my finger in front of him he runs away.

I'm seeing for all the signs and they aren't any that's why it's confusing. She bites and then I retreat my hand for a second and put it back again for a step up, she steps up. Also, I can no longer play with her like I used to because she wants to be with Blu every minute and Blu won't chill out with me so that's where the conflict is coming I believe. I'm housing them together in a medium-sized cage but they just go in there to sleep, the whole day they chill on top of the cage or on the play stand. She eats happily with my hand will climb up on me and everything is normal like it was but this biting is definitely new.

chotu_

I don´t think this is an extreme fear. some birds won´t come anywhere near humans at all, they won´t take food from hands or ride a perch. I think Blu is ok with humans but needs some time to adapt to your home, and time to build a relationship with you. Once he realises he can trust you he may just hop on your hand. Be sure to never force him, and keep at the perch, it´s great you have a way to move him where he is comfortable. Keep trying with the millet to build some trust, over time you can shorten the millet spray so he has to come closer, and eventually place a hand underneath. I made a video to help explain this. My model bird was starting to get full mid way through the vid! :rolleyes: and as he trusts me he was eating the millet near my fingers, where a new bird would likely eat from the tip of the millet. Use the table to add security for your bird, and the first time you put the hand under, lay it flat on the table, it will also stop you from moving and spooking your bird. Between each ¨stage¨, it could be hours, days, or weeks, each time it´s a new day and you come back to this, go back a few steps so you can build up;

I wonder if perhaps you are missing some signals she is displaying? She has a friend now, so the dynamics will change. Though even if the new bird isn´t tame, it shouldn´t affect your birds behaviour towards you. Try playing games you would play before, feed her from your hand, do things with her that you would do before. Watch out for any signs that she is unhappy, pulling her head back, fluffing/raising her feathers, hissing or clicking. If you notice she´s unhappy, back away and leave her be as to not make her bite you and reinforce biting. Feeding a lovebird from your hand is a relationship building exercise and a young bird is more receptive to it, so try offering her fave treats and see how you get on.

I´m curious how you are housing these birds?

Hi! Thanks for responding! I'll definitely watch the video and I'm slowly trying to tame Blu I feel he's mostly scared of fingers since he plays around my hands and doesn't run away but the minute I bring my finger in front of him he runs away.

I'm seeing for all the signs and they aren't any that's why it's confusing. She bites and then I retreat my hand for a second and put it back again for a step up, she steps up. Also, I can no longer play with her like I used to because she wants to be with Blu every minute and Blu won't chill out with me so that's where the conflict is coming I believe. I'm housing them together in a medium-sized cage but they just go in there to sleep, the whole day they chill on top of the cage or on the play stand. She eats happily with my hand will climb up on me and everything is normal like it was but this biting is definitely new.