• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My lovebird is becoming flighted

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
I have exciting news! Since getting my lovebird which is my first bird I was going back and forth on weather to let her flight feathers grow back in or keep her clipped. I decided it was best that she became flighted :heart:

As her flight feathers grew back in and she started to fly with more confidence I couldn’t ignore her new found happiness. Some of my fears that I still have is what would happen if she gets spooked and flys really fast into a window or a mirror? on the other hand I feel like since she can fly so much better now she is less likely to make a crash landing and hurt herself that way and I feel that is more likely to happen than flying to fast into something.

long story short, my babygirl has most of her flight feathers grown out and I’m really happy for her. Next is to get the same outcome for my GCC. :smileflower:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That's so exciting!

Birds learn where windows and mirrors are and how to avoid them faster than you would expect. A lot of people, when moving into a new home, will walk around with their bird and tap the glass surfaces to show where they are. Once she knows the area, she'll be fine.

If she's still learning the space, or even just to help you feel more secure, you can always temporarily alter windows and mirrors in a way that makes the barrier more apparent. Marking them with soap, covering them with material of some sort (preferably sheer for windows so light can still come through), there are tons of options.

Another thing to look forward to? She'll improve over time. Every once in a while they'll have a flight that makes you go "whoa! When did she get that fast? When did she learn to turn like that? Or manage that really steep incline up or down? Or turn sideways to zip through that narrow gap? It's delightful to watch their progress.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very exciting! Fantastic update!! :loveshower:

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
That's so exciting!

Birds learn where windows and mirrors are and how to avoid them faster than you would expect. A lot of people, when moving into a new home, will walk around with their bird and tap the glass surfaces to show where they are. Once she knows the area, she'll be fine.

If she's still learning the space, or even just to help you feel more secure, you can always temporarily alter windows and mirrors in a way that makes the barrier more apparent. Marking them with soap, covering them with material of some sort (preferably sheer for windows so light can still come through), there are tons of options.

Another thing to look forward to? She'll improve over time. Every once in a while they'll have a flight that makes you go "whoa! When did she get that fast? When did she learn to turn like that? Or manage that really steep incline up or down? Or turn sideways to zip through that narrow gap? It's delightful to watch their progress.
Hey there! Thanks for your comment :)
I like what you had to say about showing the bird around and tapping on the glass and also altering the windows. When o first brought her home I was so terrified of her flying into something that I bought a ton of these little holiday window cling decorations. I think I will do that again when I eventually more to my first house. Since I am trying to get ready to buy a first home a LOT of thought is going into safety for the birds and windows are on my mind a lot.

I am SO excited about her flying more and more! You are so right, she makes these flights and maneuvers is such cool ways! I could watch her fly around all day. I can’t wait to see how much better she gets at it when all her flight feathers come in! I would say she has 80 percent of her flight feathers in :yes4: