• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Lovebird Got Out (Happy update #12)

KiraEmily

Moving in
Real Name
Kira Stiles
Hey, Y'all. New here. My lovebird somehow got outside. He's staying in the area, thankfully, but it's cold and raining outside. What will the cold/rain do to him? Will he get too cold/wet to fly? Thank you in advance.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you put his cage outside with food and water in it to encourage him to go to his cage? How cold is it?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Oh no sorry to hear this I agree with @sunnysmom coyod you put cage outside can you see him could you catch him with a net ?

KiraEmily

Moving in
Real Name
Kira Stiles
Yes, I have the cage outside. He's still too high up in the trees, but he's getting closer and closer and it's currently 36 degrees F. Thank you all so much for reaching out to help. :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think @Zara has a post of the things to do for an escaped bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You want to try playing sounds of your other bird (or lovebirds from youtube) calling out to help your escaped one return to the correct yard and to hopefully keep it close.

How tame is your little one? If it has not learned to fly downwards you may want to consider a ladder to get you up to where your bird is if it is tame.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
How long has he been out?
Do you have other birds that can call out to him?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I thought of that too but then checked the temp conversion and I think it would be too cold to deliberately take another bird outside unless there was a way to keep that bird warm while out there.

KiraEmily

Moving in
Real Name
Kira Stiles
You want to try playing sounds of your other bird (or lovebirds from youtube) calling out to help your escaped one return to the correct yard and to hopefully keep it close.

How tame is your little one? If it has not learned to fly downwards you may want to consider a ladder to get you up to where your bird is if it is tame.
I have a tablet right by the back door on an 8 hour video, so I'm hoping that will draw him down eventually. He's not "fly to my finger" tame, but we're still kinda new to each other. He DOES know how to fly downwards and then up because he does it to me all the time. He was high up in a tree, but he keeps flying back and forth between the trees working his way down. I have an uncovered gazebo frame on the back porch (took the cover off for winter) that's about the same height as the door.

KiraEmily

Moving in
Real Name
Kira Stiles
I have his girlfriend. She sits in the window and calls to him. I know they could hear each other because that's how I found him to begin with. I'm hoping that keeps him around until I can get him to come inside.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
You can open the door snd have your caged one at the doorway with very secured caged with extra zip tie or such . With the hope the other will fly to land on cage. Then slowly back cage inside and shut door. Then you can catch him inside.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
YOU ALL!!! HE'S BACK!!!!! I left the back door open and he finally flew right in!!!!! Thank you so much for your support and love through this!!! My little Birdie Boy is back!!! :heart:
Oh thank goodness, I can’t imagine how stressful that was! Any idea how he managed to get out to begin with?

KiraEmily

Moving in
Real Name
Kira Stiles
Oh thank goodness, I can’t imagine how stressful that was! Any idea how he managed to get out to begin with?
I THINK it was because my bf may have left the door open a crack when he went outside, but I can't be totally sure... so I'm not going to ACCUSE, but I think that's what happened. ;)

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
It is such a relief to have such wonderful Good news! Happy updates just lift the spirits. Congratulations

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
YOU ALL!!! HE'S BACK!!!!! I left the back door open and he finally flew right in!!!!! Thank you so much for your support and love through this!!! My little Birdie Boy is back!!! :heart:
Great news! I am so happy for you. I bet his girlfriend's happy too. :heart2: