• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Lovebird does stay still in one place for long

Benkoh

Moving in
Hello
I am a new to keeping lovebird as pet. I hve a lovebird who is about 12 weeks old. I hve hand fed him when he was about 3 to 4 weeks old. I am wondering why he could not stay still for long when perching on my finger or my shoulder . I look at others, they are able to perch and remain on the shoulder for a long time without fiddling. Any advice on this

Attachments

Benkoh

Moving in
Just to clarify, when I said fiddling, I meant he would move around from one side of my shoulder to another and bite my hair, my ears, my handphone, what ever thing I take in my hand. How do I make him to remain in one location

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
She’s young and probably has lots energy to release. The best way for that is lots of flying, you can also give her a foot toy to play with so she has something to do!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That sounds entirely normal. Most bird - especially young ones - aren't still for long periods of time unless they're sleeping. You can't "make" them stay in one location but you can give them something more suitable to play with - a small foot toy, clean wood coffee stirrers and so on - to encourage them to stay with you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

Lovebirds are pretty active. If you allow your bird to fly and play first and then pick him up he will be a little calmer.

you can also give her a foot toy to play with
but you can give them something more suitable to play with - a small foot toy, clean wood coffee stirrers and so on - to encourage them to stay with you.
Lovebirds don’t use their feet to hold stuff but depending how slim the wooden coffee stirrer is, that could work. Mine enjoy cotton buds (qtips) but will drop them every now and then :rolleyes:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is an adorable lil lovie! Welcome to the avenue!

I don't know about lovies but everytime I see them I'm always entertained by how hyperactive they are :laughin: I wonder if wearing a wooden bead necklace might help? Or would it just be even more annoying? Not painted though. Maybe a vendor can invent one! Although the bigger birds would wring your neck haha

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wonder if wearing a wooden bead necklace might help? Or would it just be even more annoying? Not painted though. Maybe a vendor can invent one! Although the bigger birds would wring your neck haha
A perfect idea :)
@Jan has a necklace listed on her site, I didn´t look what size birds it is aimed at.
It is made of SS so will last.

Alternatively, you could string some dry pasta and other shreddables and beads on a sisal or hemp twine and tie it around your neck. Just proceed with caution with toys like these so your bird doesn´t get tangled.
I like to keep a compact mirror on my desk so I can keep an eye on birds around my neck, it would ba handy if they had a necklace toy to make sure they don´t get tangled.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
! If I ever end up with shoulder birds I'll be back for that :lol:
If you don´t mind getting messy, If you cut up millet into one-two inch pieces, I bet you could easy attach them to it.... :D

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran