• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My lovebird bites me after i got him a partner.

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
More then a week ago i got a lovebird and called him kermit. Because im still busy i got him a friend yesterday and a few hiurs after when i come near the cage he bites me or starts to be aggressive how do i have him stop and rebond with him?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Hi Celery, are they in the same cage, or separate?

@Zara has multiple and may have some words of wisdom.

In general, if you only had Kermit for a week, any bond is still forming and delicate, so significant changes can disrupt that.

Spending less time together, having the daily schedule changed, the addition of a new bird (especially if placed in the same cage), will all cause stress, and a stressed bird is a defensive bird. If you were having success bonding with Kermit before the new bird was added, consider what changes can be reversed.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Has he always been cage aggressive? Can you get him away from the cage to interact with him?

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Hi Celery, are they in the same cage, or separate?

@Zara has multiple and may have some words of wisdom.

In general, if you only had Kermit for a week, any bond is still forming and delicate, so significant changes can disrupt that.

Spending less time together, having the daily schedule changed, the addition of a new bird (especially if placed in the same cage), will all cause stress, and a stressed bird is a defensive bird. If you were having success bonding with Kermit before the new bird was added, consider what changes can be reversed.
Should i get them seperared again?

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Has he always been cage aggressive? Can you get him away from the cage to interact with him?
He was never cage aggresive he would happily get out and sleep in my shoulder, palm of my hands or on my belly. Only where he gets mad was when i was working on my school projects and tried to touch my mouse

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i got him a friend yesterday and a few hiurs after when i come near the cage he bites me
Where is the new bird?
New birds should be quarantined away from current birds for 4-6 weeks while you get them checked at the vet for illness/diseases.
So what is going on here? If Kermit hearing the new bird and that´s what´s making him act this way? Or did you house them together?
Housing two stranger lovebirds together is very risky. Lovebirds should be housed one per cage, or one bonded pair per cage.

If you weren´t spending a lot of time with Kermit, and then you got a new bird and put it in the cage with him, I´m not surprised of the biting. Maybe Kermit has bonded to the new bird instantly and is not protecting them? Or Kermit is acting this way because there´s an invader in his space.

If both birds are currently housed together, could you post a video of them together?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh I will say something else..
So my dog found my eldest Hen at my back door, and I had to quarantine her in my kitchen (not ideal but I had no choice). She was there for a month or a little more and I could handle her, she wasn´t keen on hands but things were ok.
As soon as I introduced her to my two boys, she bonded to one instantly and when they went to live together, she changed, and was much more ¨aggressive¨ and protective over her cage, the things I could do before, I couldn´t any more.

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Oh I will say something else..
So my dog found my eldest Hen at my back door, and I had to quarantine her in my kitchen (not ideal but I had no choice). She was there for a month or a little more and I could handle her, she wasn´t keen on hands but things were ok.
As soon as I introduced her to my two boys, she bonded to one instantly and when they went to live together, she changed, and was much more ¨aggressive¨ and protective over her cage, the things I could do before, I couldn´t any more.
I see, i got a pic how they are together. They follow eachother everywhere this is what they do when they are together. I got 2 cages and i let them out of tje cage at a bit of time where i can surveillance them so they dont fight.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are they siblings?

Looks like they are happy with each other. You will have to monitor them as they grow, but so far so good.kj :)

Spend as much time with them as you can, preferably when out of the cage, feed them some millet or other treats from your hand.
Talk to them softly, show them you are not a danger and are part of the flock too.

My birds that age would love the nook of the neck to snuggle in while I talk to them :rockby: