• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My love is getting sick day by day

Sakina

Moving in
Real Name
Sakina Shaikh
My love bird whose female laid eggs just a month ago was healthy and fit but since last three weeks it is becoming sicker day by day first i noticed large amount of feathers falling colored whitish then one day a large wound was present on his back on which we applied pyodine and polyfax but then on many areas similar red pinkish patches without hair are present we are applying coconut oil regularly and gave it antibiotics and then continuing paracetamol but it lost activity and become very less actually since last week and three days ago it lost its appetite too.it hardly eats one or two times by hand feeding and getting thinner day by day .i also noted hyperventilation sometimes and errection of its feathers again and again.His poop is sometime dark black or sometime light green.please suggest a sol he is my fav lovebird

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your bird sounds very sick and urgently needs to see an avian vet.

Please stop giving paracetamol . I have no idea whether it is safe for birds in any quantity. Even if it is safe, you are almost certainly giving too much. In humans it damages the liver when taken in large quantities, and as birds are so tiny it is easy to give an overdose.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
In humans it damages the liver when taken in large quantities, and as birds are so tiny it is easy to give an overdose.
!and it isn't just liver damage but full on liver failure. Pretty horrible :(

@Sakina
Please do stop the paracetamol. You should not be giving any medication to your bird without avian vet oversight. If you don't have access to an avian vet there are some who can give an online consult. But if you treat blindly you can easily cause much more harm than good.

I am sorry your bird is ill. Please try reaching out to a medical professional.

Sakina

Moving in
Real Name
Sakina Shaikh
Your bird sounds very sick and urgently needs to see an avian vet.

Please stop giving paracetamol . I have no idea whether it is safe for birds in any quantity. Even if it is safe, you are almost certainly giving too much. In humans it damages the liver when taken in large quantities, and as birds are so tiny it is easy to give an overdose.
I am giving paracetamol just few drops dissolved in water can this small amount cause liver damage?.and my father took advice from some birds keepers they said to give vibromycin an antibiotic (only one capsule by just dissolving a very small amount in his water).can it too pose serious effects?

Sakina

Moving in
Real Name
Sakina Shaikh
!and it isn't just liver damage but full on liver failure. Pretty horrible :(

@Sakina
Please do stop the paracetamol. You should not be giving any medication to your bird without avian vet oversight. If you don't have access to an avian vet there are some who can give an online consult. But if you treat blindly you can easily cause much more harm than good.

I am sorry your bird is ill. Please try reaching out to a medical professional.
Can you suggest online consult for free?

Sakina

Moving in
Real Name
Sakina Shaikh
my love bird whose female laid eggs just a month ago was healthy and fit but since last three weeks it is becoming sicker day by day first i noticed large amount of feathers falling colored whitish then one day a large wound was present on his back on which we applied pyodine and polyfax but then on many areas similar red pinkish patches without hair are present we are applying coconut oil regularly and gave it antibiotics and then continuing paracetamol but it lost activity and become very less actually since last week and three days ago it lost its appetite too.it hardly eats one or two times by hand feeding and getting thinner day by day .i also noted hyperventilation sometimes and errection of its feathers again and again.His poop is sometime dark black or sometime light green.please suggest a sol he is my fav lovebird IMG_20211210_152302_660.jpg

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
My best advice is to get to a avian vet ASAP

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am giving paracetamol just few drops dissolved in water can this small amount cause liver damage?.and my father took advice from some birds keepers they said to give vibromycin an antibiotic (only one capsule by just dissolving a very small amount in his water).can it too pose serious effects?
I don't know how toxic paracetamol is to birds. If they are more sensitive than humans, even a tiny amount could be dangerous.

You have no idea why your bird is sick. Antibiotics only work against the bacteria that are sensitive to them. They are useless against bacteria that are resistant, viruses, fungal infections and so on. However, antibiotics do often kill gut bacteria. As such, you should not give an antibiotic unless you know that it will help the bird. You can only check this by testing the bird. Vibramycin is broad spectrum but even then, it won't be effective against a virus or fungal infection.

Noone of us are vets. You really need to see an avian vet who can suggest some treatments. There will be a fee for this. I am not aware of any free services.