• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Lorikeet loves my boyfriend now...

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
:( My sweet little colorful troublemaker has started to take a liking for my boyfriend. When he walks into the room, my Lorikeet flies to him & prefers to be on him. This has started a week ago and has shown no sign of slowing down. No aggression to me or anything, but I want to be his #1 and receive all his attention and cuddles.

Now I want to adopt a new baby to fill in the cuddle gap I am missing, but my boyfriend doesn't want to. I want my birdie back!

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Additionally, I care for my Lorikeet! Clean cage, feed him, give treats, train him, taught him to fly recently, pet him all the time & my boyfriend does none of this other than occasional head scritches and some talking.

Max83

Walking the driveway
ahah. my cockatiel is the same. I feed him, clean cage etc from when he was 30 days old but he loves and prefers my wife even if she don't like animals so much...he is always on her shoulder, if I take him she flies back to her. They choose, it's natural...that don't mean he doesn't like you :)

are you thinking about another lorikeet to keep him company or another parrot?

Lightning57

Meeting neighbors
That's how it is sometimes. It sucks. I know it happened to me with my last tiel. I raised her, did it all, but she would always prefer any male over me. I wouldn't recommend getting another bird just because you want it to prefer you. It too may chose your boyfriend over you. Then you're stuck with double the disappointment, work, etc.

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
ahah. my cockatiel is the same. I feed him, clean cage etc from when he was 30 days old but he loves and prefers my wife even if she don't like animals so much...he is always on her shoulder, if I take him she flies back to her. They choose, it's natural...that don't mean he doesn't like you :)

are you thinking about another lorikeet to keep him company or another parrot?
I am inevitably getting a Macaw when we buy our house (2-3 years estimate) that I won't let him EVEN LOOK AT! But if I get another bird to fill this gap soon, I would look into a Dusky Lory (found a breeder recently but they won't get more babies until next year if their pairs successfully breed then), Caique, or something like a Galah... though there's a Blue Headed Conure baby at my job I adore but his sibling died unexpectedly and I don't know if I want to risk bringing a possibly sick bird into my house. He seems healthy now, though.

But my Lorikeet is an aggressive nerd to have any companions I believe.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I'm just going to repeat what I always say.
Every bird is different with individual timelines, preferences and personalities. That's something we each live with. To expect a particular behavior or response is pretty well asking for trouble.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
My nanday is the same way. She listens to me and I can do anything to her, but when other people are around she prefers them over me. I attribute it to the fact that I have had her since she was a baby, therefore I am a parental figure in her head and it is only natural for her to leave her parents and find a mate.

I don't take it to heart. We still have our moments and ultimately I am happy when she is happy.

My situation is also why I sometimes recommend people to adopt older birds because this type of scenario typically won't happen. Instead an adult bird will pick you and that is an amazing bond to have. I have experienced that with a Male M2 that is willed to me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This happened with my Quaker Jingo and me. It was heartbreaking and is the main reason I don't do babies anymore

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I'll tell you about my first conure, a Fiery. He was mine initially. Even though he wanted the attention of another, he, like subsequent conures, always seemed to seek my approval even after the fact.

Just like you'll forever seek your mother's approval and she's probably the first onel you turn to in need, birds are much the same. I'm a big football fan and constantly see giant men seeking their mothers' love and approval. These big guys extol the virtues of their mothers.

Birds are more like people than you may realize. You may think you've "lost" him, but possibly your relationship is just deeper. I'll forever cherish what a member told me. The bird probably loves and appreciates you more than you realize.

Last edited:

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
An update on my little monster, if anyone is curious. She is a she! Surprise DNA test! And she shares both myself, my bf, and my brother who lives with us for now. Shes loves everyone and picks a new favorite every night which I am fine with. Sometimes it's me, sometimes it's my bf. She loves visitors and thinks people visit our home JUST for her to flirt with.