• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 My little love bird

Pajewjo

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi im so lost i have i little love bird born end November from two adult love birds i have but have never touched as they wont allow me two. She laid 5 eggs and only pajewjo survived last week i notice him out the breeder at the bottom of the cage with some of the shredded dry palm around his foot and his foot limping. I removed it and been taking care of him ever since. The foot has fallen off and he seems fine with it not sick he eats well but this morning i noticed him making clicking noise when his resting and his heads down. His eating but not like before. Must i be worried.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!!!

Clicking noise is probably his respiratory [breathing] having problems... Not sure he'll make it. Having one less foot will be an issue for the rest of his life, but with proper care... you and he can deal with it. Will take much effort and special care.
Giving him extra warmth? What are you feeding him?

I am so thankful you made it into this forum... you will find so much information here... I hope you can use it for the future experiences you will have IF you continue to breed your birds...

Your adults knew he was not well... IF you continue to breed your birds, GET RID OF the dry palm pieces... true, I gave my LBs fresh clean palm leaves for their nest, but first of all was the proper bedding material-- wood chips. [Please learn what kind to get [and NOT GET] by reading about it].
@Zara--- need some help...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It is very important you take this bird to see a vet.
They need to look at the foot so they can check it is free of infection.

Inadequate bedding is extremely dangerous for many different reasons and can cause illness, splayed legs and even death. It is a shame because it is such an easy thing to learn meaning all of the above are evitable.
The nest box should always be externally placed so you can check in on the young. The bedding should be aspen shavings. If you can´t get those, you can use coarse pine. Not fine pine, and never cedar. I understand that this doesn´t really help you now, and I hope you will reasearch thoroughly before trying again. If you cannot research and learn, then just remove the nesting box and boil any eggs laid.

Must i be worried.
Yes. Palm leaves were so tight around his foot that it fell off. You should be worried.
Your bird needs to see a vet.
They may also need pain medication, even if there is no infection.