• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Little Family

Abyss

Meeting neighbors
Have you ever had a corn? If you have, I will ask you for advice when the time comes!
My first 3 snakes were corns. I had them for 12 years before all the stuff I mentioned in my first post happened. You're more than welcome to ask away. I'm a bit jealous. It's exciting getting your first snake :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I love ringnecks too but sadly living in the UK I've never even seen one in captivity nevermind the wild. The mud snakes from the southern states are dream snakes for me too (that red underside!!) but as you say these guys are better suited to being seen in the wild.
I'm surprised you've never heard of the wild ringnecks in the UK...Kensington Gardens in London. Here's an article and a video!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
He means a ringneck snake!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Btw, the first snake in your pictures is really amazing! I really like that orangy colour

Abyss

Meeting neighbors
I'm surprised you've never heard of the wild ringnecks in the UK...Kensington Gardens in London. Here's an article and a video!

As Ali said, I was meaning the snakes. Understandable mix up on a bird site. I actually have a rescued Indian Ringneck who is a bit of a tortured story so I see far too much of them already. Sorry for the confusion :)

Abyss

Meeting neighbors
Btw, the first snake in your pictures is really amazing! I really like that orangy colour
That should mute a little as he grows unfortunately but I'm excited to see what he ends up looking like. The breeder was too, he was holding this guy back to breed in the future but a change of circumstances meant I was lucky enough to snap him up.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
He means a ringneck snake!
Yes, they're so cute! And tiny!

I had no idea about the wild flock in London ... Like the telegraph hill flock? (not ringnecks, I mean an unlikely wild population.)

Never know what you'll find in any thread!

Abyss

Meeting neighbors
Yes, they're so cute! And tiny!

I had no idea about the wild flock in London ... Like the telegraph hill flock? (not ringnecks, I mean an unlikely wild population.)

Never know what you'll find in any thread!

There's a flock 400 miles farther north in Glasgow. It's one of the most northerly flocks of parrots in the world. They're impressively adaptable.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hah, I'm in London and have literally just seen four go by my window! They're ferals that have established themselves quite happily - I even see them on people's bird feeders. There's a few stories floating around about how they got here, including one that they escaped from The African Queen film set, but the more likely scenario is that they escaped from aviaries or are people's escaped pets. They are very noisy and very fast fliers! You usually hear them before you see them.

I have a soft spot for corns too. There's nothing as stunning as a well-marked wild type in perfect condition imo. They're basically the budgies and tiels of the snake world - people think they're an easy starter species and discard them when they get interested in something more "advanced" :(

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I would love to see the wild ringneck parrots! My grandparents used to live around the kings Langley area. I saw a few wild parrots there, but I don't know what species.

@Abyss , sorry to go a bit off topic!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're fast so hard to photograph easily. I managed to get some crappy photos of one of a bird feeder, but mostly I see them flying or yelling at something from a tree.

20190514_181141_HDR.jpg 20190514_181219_HDR.jpg 20190514_181106_HDR.jpg

There are loads in south west London, with a big colony in Richmond Park. There's also a smaller group in Hampstead Heath in north west London.

Abyss

Meeting neighbors
I would love to see the wild ringneck parrots! My grandparents used to live around the kings Langley area. I saw a few wild parrots there, but I don't know what species.

@Abyss , sorry to go a bit off topic!
Don't be silly. Life isn't any fun if we don't veer off on tangents once in a while :)

They're fast so hard to photograph easily. I managed to get some crappy photos of one of a bird feeder, but mostly I see them flying or yelling at something from a tree.

View attachment 341220 View attachment 341221 View attachment 341219

There are loads in south west London, with a big colony in Richmond Park. There's also a smaller group in Hampstead Heath in north west London.
Must be so odd having them wild in your garden

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Kiwi's Mom , did you see yesterday's video with the faceless bullsnake? And Tuesday's one, but I forget what that was.

Edit... Tuesday's video was hognose eating eggs
I haven’t watched either yet, but I plan too soon. I can’t wait for Brad’s babies to hatch!

Reactions: Ali