• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Little Boy

joeycockat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tasha
Hi.

I'm a first time owner and I've had my boy, Joe, for around a month and I never knew it was possible to love him so much lol.

Not long after I got him he was making baby noises ALL the time and was worse when he was near me, I was told he would grow out of it but I had to leave him for 2 days to stay with my dog 4 hours a way while she had spinal surgery. When I got home he was like a different bird. Still affectionate but the baby noises have stopped completely, how strange! But glad a bout that.

He really is the sweetest boy. Never does anything wrong apart from he's a pain for me to put down for me to go in the kitchen or something, literally need to run out the door before he flys back on me lol.

Anyway just wanted to share him with you.

He's around 16 weeks, will his head turn yellow after a molt or do they sometimes stay grey?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww::awww:

I hope your dog is ok, and surgery was a success

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue. Your baby is so adorable :heart::heart::heart:
I hope your dog's surgery went well :)

Aestatis

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Omg he is so cute! His head will turn yellow after a molt, but since they don't molt all their feathers at once it might take a bit to turn totally yellow. Also, his pink feet and white patches on his head mean he is split to pied if you were curious.

joeycockat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tasha
Omg he is so cute! His head will turn yellow after a molt, but since they don't molt all their feathers at once it might take a bit to turn totally yellow. Also, his pink feet and white patches on his head mean he is split to pied if you were curious.
Ah thank you. I have no idea what that means haha will do some research

Nhan_Dxo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nhan
Ah thank you. I have no idea what that means haha will do some research
The "split to pied" refers to his mutation (color). Normal cockatiels are gray-bodied with yellow heads. A pied cockatiel has the genes to change the gray feathers into more yellow/white on the body. A split means they only have half of those genes. For most birds, this means the bird just looks like their normal/wild counterparts but with cockatiels a split can sometimes have a visual impact in the form of small splotches of yellow/white on the body.

joeycockat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tasha
The "split to pied" refers to his mutation (color). Normal cockatiels are gray-bodied with yellow heads. A pied cockatiel has the genes to change the gray feathers into more yellow/white on the body. A split means they only have half of those genes. For most birds, this means the bird just looks like their normal/wild counterparts but with cockatiels a split can sometimes have a visual impact in the form of small splotches of yellow/white on the body.
Amazing! I've been researching and found it a bit confusing but that's really clear . Will he most likely still change colour on his head on his first molt? I think I read somewhere he could turn yellow and or white on his head as well. He could turn pink for all I care as I just love him to bits but it's interesting to learn about it all

Nhan_Dxo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nhan
Amazing! I've been researching and found it a bit confusing but that's really clear . Will he most likely still change colour on his head on his first molt? I think I read somewhere he could turn yellow and or white on his head as well. He could turn pink for all I care as I just love him to bits but it's interesting to learn about it all
Yes if he is a confirmed male. If hes a boy then his head should molt into a yellow and the cheek patches will become a bolder red. Sometimes though it can take 2-3 molts... aka 2-3 years for the full colors to come in because some birds just be real slow.

Also, I second the bird mutatons being cool. Its easiest imo to learn color mutations from cockatiels then say lovebirds or conures because tiels genetically can only produce like 14 colors i believe whereas the others have dozens.

joeycockat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tasha
Yes if he is a confirmed male. If hes a boy then his head should molt into a yellow and the cheek patches will become a bolder red. Sometimes though it can take 2-3 molts... aka 2-3 years for the full colors to come in because some birds just be real slow.

Also, I second the bird mutatons being cool. Its easiest imo to learn color mutations from cockatiels then say lovebirds or conures because tiels genetically can only produce like 14 colors i believe whereas the others have dozens.
Brilliant, thank you. Yes he was DNA sexed and tested for PBFD when I bought him. He's a little sweetheart