• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My little boy Peep-Peep

Minnet

Moving in
Real Name
Minnet
Hi everyone.
Im new here.
So I got two rescue cockatiels (one boy and one girl)
My Boy Peep-Peep is very tame I handfed him and my little Chicken is semi tame she will sit on my shoulder and i can give her kisses but she hates hands touching her.
Im currently feeding them veggies for breakfast and Avi Pellets mixed with seeds at night but I dont like the fake vitamins and the sugar in them. I bought Roudybush and Tops pellets. Can I mix these pellets because they are not always available where I live so then if one is out of stock I can still use the other one. Im worried about the corn and soy in the roudybush wont be good for them. Also can I freeze the pellets that I dont use to make them last longer? How do I defrost the pellets to use ect? Thanks in advance for all the help

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a gorgeous sweetie you have there! :heart: No problem mixing pellets, in fact that is a really good plan. I don’t like the ingredients in most pellets either, but I like the vitamin D. I feed my birds Roudybush, but I just got a bag of Caitec Oven Fresh Bites. I like the ingredients, and my birds used to eat it just a bit a long time ago, so I’m going to see if I can get them more interested this time around.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your tiels! :)

I use a different brand of pellets than you do, so I can't comment on them. I'm sure other roadies will be along with their thoughts. Veggies are great...I mix all kinds of them together and create a "chop"...a salad that the birds love...our tiels like a heavy amount of sweet bell peppers in it...the budgies like the dark leafy veggies the most...and Milton da Too prefers a lot of apples in his. Buddy, the Conure, eats everything. ;)

That's the fun part about making chop...there's no "right" way to make it...creativity is a great thing...:D

Minnet

Moving in
Real Name
Minnet
What a gorgeous sweetie you have there! :heart: No problem mixing pellets, in fact that is a really good plan. I don’t like the ingredients in most pellets either, but I like the vitamin D. I feed my birds Roudybush, but I just got a bag of Caitec Oven Fresh Bites. I like the ingredients, and my birds used to eat it just a bit a long time ago, so I’m going to see if I can get them more interested this time around.
Thank you. He also has a very sad reacue story he is my whole life. I am hoping they eat the pellets but Im also worried about the fake vitamin K in the Roudybush

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don’t usually like artificial anything but as far as the pellets go, I’m happy they have the vitamins that have been found necessary for our companion birds. I can not guarantee that I am giving the right amount of fresh foods for my bird nor that he is eating the correct amounts of anything to get all the vitamins he needs to stay as healthy as possible, so knowing he eats the pellets as part of his diet means I know he is getting what the vets have recommended is best for our companion birds systems.
I do not like all the ingredients in any of the brands I have read the ingredients list for but I also do not know enough about the necessary vitamins and amounts needed daily for our birds to stay healthy so I just try to not be too fussy about the pellet ingredients and relax knowing they pick up where I may have slacked off for my birds health. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Minnet! :starshower1:
Put the extra pellets in a ziploc bag and suck as much air out as you can to freeze. Then lay the bag on the counter to defrost :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Harrison's Roudybush and Caitiec are my most favored pellets. Can you explain why you are worried about corn and soy? They are highly researched and very safe food sources. Keep in mind that these thee pellets in particular have been well researched and accepted almost universally by the parrot world.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@Minnet you will have to tell us about his story when you have the time. With more pictures too of course!

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I have frozen roudybush pellets. I just unthaw them in the fridge overnight. Roudybush has not used synthetic vitamin K in years. They add alfafa to their pellets now, for natural vitamin K .
I don't think you would need to worry feeding your parrots pellets with corn / soy, as long as you are only feeding them 10-30% of their diet in pellets. I've read it is better to feed the smaller parrots smaller amounts of pellets then the larger species. Cockatiels should have a diet that has more seeds / grains / sprouts then pellets, and as much veges as they want. Good luck =)

Minnet

Moving in
Real Name
Minnet
Welcome to the Avenue Minnet! :starshower1:
Put the extra pellets in a ziploc bag and suck as much air out as you can to freeze. Then lay the bag on the counter to defrost :)
Hi. Thanks so much. Can I freeze the bag agiain until next time I need some

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh Minnet, your Tiels are gorgeous! And welcome to the forum!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Can I freeze the bag agiain until next time I need some
I wouldn´t refreeze it a second time.
What you can do is, when you buy a bag of pellet, measure out quarters. Put one quarter in a glass jar to use first, then freeze the other 3 portions in ziploc bags. Then once you have a day or two food left, pull out a bag to defrost.

I buy 2 kilo bags and I put half in my glass jar and freeze half (in it´s original bag because it is ziploc) because I have 6 birds. If I only had one bird, I would freeze in portions of about 300 grams or so and see how I get on.

Minnet

Moving in
Real Name
Minnet
Thank you. I will do that. I k ow my cockatiels will eat them but my african grey rescue is a struck punpkin seed and apple addict. Refuses to eat anything else no matter what I try. He will rather starve to death than try new foods. Its been 5 years now and still not eating healthy. I do give vitamins in his water to try and supplament him

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Oh wow are they both gorgeous! :loveshower:
As much as I hate sad stories, I would love to hear his since we already know it has a happy ending:heart: Thank you for taking them in, and doing the research to learn what’s best for them as that’s all we can do!

I also mix pellets currently Harrison’s and Roudybush. I want to try adding Tops in as well soon. Another good brand that you may be interested in is Goldenfeast, as they don’t use synthetics. My budgies loved their smallest size until it was discontinued.

Welcome to the Avenue!:grpwelcome:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What precious birdies, :heart:
and I’m very sorry for your loss of your conure and budgies.:hug8:

Minnet

Moving in
Real Name
Minnet
Oh wow are they both gorgeous! :loveshower:
As much as I hate sad stories, I would love to hear his since we already know it has a happy ending:heart: Thank you for taking them in, and doing the research to learn what’s best for them as that’s all we can do!

I also mix pellets currently Harrison’s and Roudybush. I want to try adding Tops in as well soon. Another good brand that you may be interested in is Goldenfeast, as they don’t use synthetics. My budgies loved their smallest size until it was discontinued.

Welcome to the Avenue!:grpwelcome:
So here ia Peeps story. We heard a cockatiel outside for a fee days, then when my mom and dad was working in the garden they saw him in a nearby tree. We sprayed him with water (thinking he could fly far) when I caught him he was very very thin and still a baby. He was also bleeding then later I saw his wings were cutt off into the flesh (cause of bleeding) he was on meds for infection. He was very weak, we didnt think he was gonna make it. But now he is two years old already he just wants kisses and scratches all day long.