• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My little baby is all grown up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
And I mean, REALLY grown up!
7 years ago (and it seems like yesterday) we were rushing out to our vet's barn, all bundled up in jackets because it was a bit chilly for the end of April, to see the first foal that we had ever bred. We got the call he was being born, panicked a bit, squealed with excitement, and quickly loaded into the truck. When we got there, he was standing up already for his first nurse, and had been in the world for 20 minutes. The mare had literally dropped to the ground, given birth, stood up, and the foal had followed and nursed. Pretty darn good for a first time momma!

I remember hearing my parents remark "Thats a BIG baby! Look at that long neck and tail!". Booker was all long limbs, long neck, and fuzz, and he instantly stole my heart. I went into the stall, and he was the friendliest baby, came right up to me to nuzzle. We bonded instantly and he laid down, put his head in my lap, and fell asleep. :heart:

Ever since then, we've had a special bond. He is "my horse". I used to go sleep in his stall when I was younger and going through some hard times. He grew into an unheard of size for a morgan (known for their smaller, more stocky build), getting to 16.2 HH with no shoes on, and is long, stretchy and elegant! He is absolutely stunning, and my gentle giant dwarfs every other horse on our farm :)
So when I got the call back in Dec. that he was being pulled from training because he was "a lunatic" and "unworkable" and would "never amount to anything, you just need to send him to slaughter", I couldn't believe my ears! MY Booker? My sweet Booker who is honest as the day is long, intelligent, and dying to be everyone's friend? I'd have none of it. Within a week after bringing him home, the calls rolled in from this trainers other clients begging me to spare my horses life (AS IF I would ever consider sending him to slaughter :mad:) and letting the cat out of the bag about just how much he was worked, how he was trained, and what she did to him. To say I'm livid doesn't even begin to cover it. I was so mad I was physically nauseous. She ABUSED my horse and told everyone that it was at my request!!! Just thinking about it sends me into a fit of shaking rage.

But, there is a silver lining. One of the people who called to talk about the treatment Booker received while he spent 15 months at a training stable while my family and I shoveled out THOUSANDS of dollars, thinking we were ensuring him the best care and training money could buy, just happens to practice and train using natural horsemanship methods. And he decided back in Mid February to take Booker on as a "rehab horse" and work with him. I am pleased to announce that my "lunatic horse" is now being ridden, safely and sanely, picking up both canter leads, and is getting more and more confident everyday! I just got the call from the trainer, he is so genuine and excited about Booker's progress. Tonight, I go out to officially ride my baby for the first time. It's been 7 years in the making. There have been so many setbacks. And I am SO excited. I just know its going to be a monumental moment when I climb on his back for the first time. I have this feeling in me that it was meant to be, that ever since I first saw that teetering little foal with those unusually long legs, we were meant to be together as a pair.

I'm both nervous and excited for this moment. Wish me luck!!!
Pictures of course, will be coming soon :)

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
You both have been through so much!! I'm really excited for you getting to ride him for the first time tonight. Will be thinking of you.
Have fun and lots of pics please. Be safe.:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
congrats Natalie

we try to do the best by our babies and you had no way of knowing what this person was doing

so happy for Booker that someone saw the gem buried in him and worked to bring it out

looking forward to pics! :heart:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Wow you must be so excited! Can't wait for pictures, he sounds like a sweetie!

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
Good luck!!

Can't wait for pics!! I bet both of you will be beaming with pride!!!

Gigi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vickie
Is that lady still running her training business? Because she shouldn't be! Incredible those people called you to ask you to spare your horse. They obviously all cared for him, he must be as sweet as you say!

Good luck and have fun!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I do believe that I would have called an attorney and pressed charges for cruelty, slander and fraud along with writing the BBB the Chamber and every Morgan organization I could think of to get her banned from training.

I agree photos please.

Ginger

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks everyone :)
My mom says she's bringing the video camera, so if I put a video up and I'm crying, its tears of joy I promise! :laughing2:

As far as the trainer...yes, she is still training. We are as of right now going through the motions of legal consultation to sue her for at least 9 months worth of training fees. Any "abuse" to the horse is hearsay and cannot be legally acted upon unfortunately, as we weren't there to witness it and Booker doesn't bear any scars that are physical (however the emotional scars are there). As far as her training license goes, we can't actually make the AMHA revoke it, however my mother is on the board of the NCMA (North Central Morgan Association) and has very discreetly voiced to anyone who has asked our experiences with this trainer. Its already causing a huge scandal in the Morgan world right now, as trainers are whispering about why Booker isn't ready. It was announced last year at the world championships that I would be returning to the professional showring as an amateur status with the intent to go for the open hunter world championship :) Said abusive trainer was very vocal in announcing to just about everyone that she had the next top contender in her barn (and mind you, the world championships are in October. Which means between October and December, my horse went from being a contender for the world championships to unrideable and a bust.)

We aren't looking to stoop to her level, but a few have asked what we thought about her training and asked if we would recommend sending a horse there, and we are being absolutely honest about the whole thing.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
*******UPDATE*********

Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride Booker that day. What a let down! The trainer called me up and told me that my horse was not doing so well today, and explained that his progress was a "two steps forward, one step back" sort of deal, and that was his leap backwards (literally! He jumped straight backwards when the trainer tried to get him to walk over a pole on the ground!) I still got to go out and see him be ridden by the trainer. He is so patient with him! But Booker is very timid, and unsure of himself. Its so funny, its like sometimes he is concentrating so hard on where he is putting his feet, he doesn't realize where he is going. He nearly walked right into a wall :lol:
The trainer said this was a common behavior of horses that were trained in chutes or were rushed to the saddle and into paces too quickly. He says my horse has little or no foundation laid for riding, which means previous trainer probably got up on his back and was trying to teach him gaits the same day :mad: No wonder he would go ballistic on her sometimes. Can you imagine how scary that would be, having someone on your back and all of the sudden kicking you and spurring you forward while you're still trying to adjust to the fact that a "predator" is on your back? Grrrrrr.

All in all, my horse did very well and the training session ended on a good note. He has a wonderful extension to his trot, Dan was saying it was a lot of effort to keep his mind "occupied" so he wouldn't start flinging his feet every which way into a mad scramble, he gets so excited when he can lengthen his stride. And boy can he cover ground!!! Holy canole, It's going to be amazing to ride him when I do :D

So, when the day comes...I'll have the camera ready!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh so sorry you didn't get to ride him. It will come with time. It sounds like you have a great trainer who really cares about Bookers wellbeing. I love Morgans! I can't wait to see pics of your beauty!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
am so glad you have found a trainer with some sense and a lot of patience!!

:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ohhhh....I'm sorry you didn't get to ride your magnificent Booker but if more time is needed to help him then you're being a fantastic horse parent to put your own feelings aside and do what's best for him. Hopefully your day will come soon. Can't wait to see pics. :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Congrats and definitely take photos for us when you get the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.