• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Little Alexander is trying to escape?

Jeluin

Moving in
Real Name
Andrei Alexandrescu
I'm a new parrot owner, and he/she is 2 months old. I purchased him today and put him in a temporary cage and he is biting the metal rods and putting his head through the gate. Please help (other advice for a new parrot owner like me would be greatly appreciated)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can he get his head through the bars?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is the cage quite small? The only times I’ve really experienced birds biting bars and desperately looking for an opening to get out if is when the cage is way too small.
I am not quite sure what type of situation you’re in or what you’re wanting help with..... can you explain a little more?

Jeluin

Moving in
Real Name
Andrei Alexandrescu
Is the cage quite small? The only times I’ve really experienced birds biting bars and desperately looking for an opening to get out if is when the cage is way too small.
I am not quite sure what type of situation you’re in or what you’re wanting help with..... can you explain a little more?
He is 2 months old. The cage is 50cm tall, 25cm wide and 30cm long, although it is temporary . He has 2 sticks he can climb on, water and food. He often goes up high and bites the top of the cage, and going to the lower corners to try and lift the cage up. I just got him today. Hope this helps.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My guess is he’s feeling extra stressed by the new changes and the small enclosure is probably adding to it.

What kind of bird is he?

I originally bought my budgies home in a cage of similar size to yours because there was nothing bigger available, they tried non stop to escape from there and were horribly stressed. They both calmed down and seemed like completely different birds once their bigger cage arrived.

Jeluin

Moving in
Real Name
Andrei Alexandrescu
My guess is he’s feeling extra stressed by the new changes and the small enclosure is probably adding to it.

What kind of bird is he?

I originally bought my budgies home in a cage of similar size to yours because there was nothing bigger available, they tried non stop to escape from there and were horribly stressed. They both calmed down and seemed like completely different birds once their bigger cage arrived.
I have a Little Alexander.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Your bird is also a baby, he's scared, and feeling lost and alone.
Go slow, be patient, speak softly and gently to him.
Get a bigger cage when you can, add some toys for him to play with, and make sure you add some natural perches (not straight rods).
He'll calm down once he stress level lowers a bit.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am not personally familiar with Alexandrine parrots but I do believe the cage you have is terribly small for a bird of his size. Can he completely open his wings in there without touching anything? I am seriously thinking the size of your cage will be stressing him out something terrible.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Alexandrines have very long tails so 50cm high isn’t high enough to have their tails comfortable. 30cm long also isn’t really any room to move, do you have a pic of the cage?