• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My IRN screams when I’m too close now

Nox

Sitting on the front steps
Yesterday my IRN just went out of control and didn’t get back in his cage and it was really late and he crashing all over the place and we had to towel him but now he doesn’t even let me close should I leave him be and getting closer ,he doesn’t eat in front of me anymore or drink water but when I leave he starts again he also started doing this extended neck movement when I try to change his food I do it but he screams every time I really want to help him but I don’t know how to do it the internet is giving me mixed singles I’m really confused only place I could come was here he definitely won’t let’s hands near him

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
This is only day 5 right? And yesterday was a little hiccup.
It takes time with parrots .

Have the cage at chest height . The back of the cage against a wall. Honestly a much larger cage is urgently needed. They feel much less stress when they have plenty of perches and space to retreat.

Always approach cage from the direct front and greet him from several feet away and tell him what you are doing. Like im just coming to ssy hi. Ir I need to change food snd water.

This is a link to a great article thst cover a wide range of things. I have re read it often.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Learning to read your burds body language is an art, and you will get better with time. They communicate a lot with their body positions, eyes, feathers ( feathers clasped tight and smooth to body head up neck extended is fear and stress ) some times they do body movements like snake neck weaving, or lowering head over feet with beak pointed st you or crouched a warning I will bite!
This is great article to get started reading body language

Nox

This is only day 5 right? And yesterday was a little hiccup.
It takes time with parrots .

Have the cage at chest height . The back of the cage against a wall. Honestly a much larger cage is urgently needed. They feel much less stress when they have plenty of perches and space to retreat.

Always approach cage from the direct front and greet him from several feet away and tell him what you are doing. Like im just coming to ssy hi. Ir I need to change food snd water.

This is a link to a great article thst cover a wide range of things. I have re read it often.
Thank you

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I know the stress article is a long one. But it covers cage, diet, enrichment, observation, rituals, psttering to music, food anxiety link, kind gets you to thinking how your psrrot views the world, how good they are at reading you and your energy and frame of mind. So I think it is a very worthy read.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just do things as calmly as you can, and try to keep things brief.

Here's a good read :)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm sorry you're going through this.

I would slow things down and begin from square one. I wouldn't let him out of his cage again until he has learned to trust you a lot more around his cage and with your hand in his cage giving him treats/perching on your hand.

Also find a treat he absolutely goes nuts for, and start using that as a training tool. My ringneck loves small pieces of almond. Once you find this treat, you can use it to lure him back into his cage in the future if this comes up again.

I had to towel my ringneck once soon after I got adopted him, and it caused him to distrust me for awhile, but he came around. However, he (age 7) was also already super trained and human-oriented from his previous two owners, so I think that helped him overcome his distrust of me.

What's the background of your bird? If it's young, it may take longer for him to "forgive" you. Good luck!

Nox

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I would slow things down and begin from square one. I wouldn't let him out of his cage again until he has learned to trust you a lot more around his cage and with your hand in his cage giving him treats/perching on your hand.

Also find a treat he absolutely goes nuts for, and start using that as a training tool. My ringneck loves small pieces of almond. Once you find this treat, you can use it to lure him back into his cage in the future if this comes up again.

I had to towel my ringneck once soon after I got adopted him, and it caused him to distrust me for awhile, but he came around. However, he (age 7) was also already super trained and human-oriented from his previous two owners, so I think that helped him overcome his distrust of me.

What's the background of your bird? If it's young, it may take longer for him to "forgive" you. Good luck!
He had a owner and he would step up before he stopped doing it or even liking humans near him or the cage when he came to me .the guy lived alone so maybe it’s a lot more stress for him since more then one person is seeing him ,he is like 4 months old and his previous owner had him for 2 months ,but recently he lets me move his cage around he doesn’t make noise and he doesn’t really vocalise at all since he came but I’m not sure if that’s from his age or he doesn’t trust me or scared .

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
He had a owner and he would step up before he stopped doing it or even liking humans near him or the cage when he came to me .the guy lived alone so maybe it’s a lot more stress for him since more then one person is seeing him ,he is like 4 months old and his previous owner had him for 2 months ,but recently he lets me move his cage around he doesn’t make noise and he doesn’t really vocalise at all since he came but I’m not sure if that’s from his age or he doesn’t trust me or scared .
A lot of these behaviours are a sign of a very stressed and anxious bird. I agree with what everyone has said thus far. Upgrade the cage, and take everything in calm stride. This little guy must have had some bad experiences in his short life, but don't give up on him. He is lucky to have found you, and at 4 months he is still a very young bird and hopefully in your caring hands will grow up into a more confident adult.

From the photo in your avatar it looks like the previous home trimmed his wings? Allowing him to regain flight can be a big confidence boost. Whilst he waits for his moult and new set of wings, make sure you have access ladders or ropes so that he always feels safe navigating his space on his own. (My asiatic, had his flight, but the breeder trimmed his wings right before I got him. He was demoralised from it. I used untreated sisal rope and made sure he could always go up to perches etc with them. Eventual his flight returned and he really blossomed into a confident little guy.) My best advice is to try to empower your bird through ease of mobility and lots of food options. Then take a step back and wait for your bird to want to be your friend. Try to do peaceful activities, like reading out loud, so that your bird sees you are a friendly presence. Not a threat. Your bird needs to get used to you, used to your voice and the way you move your body. Do your best to be predictable and patient, it will pay off in the long run.

Nox

He is freaking out and idk what to do he is trying to break out and I don’t have locks on all the gates he gonna figure it out soon but if I try to close it with wire then he screams I thinks he is gonna get out I’m screwed

Attachments

Nox

The top gate where he sits he is finding out how to open it

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
you need a larger cage .
He needs stuff to chew on and rip up.
Until you get a larger cage as fast as possible. You can zip tie all the csge connections.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
you need a larger cage .
He needs stuff to chew on and rip up.
Until you get a larger cage as fast as possible. You can zip tie all the csge connections.
I second this suggestion. The cage he is currently in is inappropriate. Please upgrade as soon as you can. He will never feel safe in his mobility if he feels trapped.

Look at this thread or other similar threads for ideas: Minimum Cage for Indian Ringneck Parakeet

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
You can also use small binder clips to clip the doors closed, depending on how those doors and the cage bars are arranged.

Reactions: Nox

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
He definitely needs a bigger cage it’s about same size as my quatine cage for my lovebirds and even they go mental in it even with toys
It always needs to be up against two walls so side and backs covered like in corner of a room that’s very open with no space to have his back to comfortably which also could be scary him
If you can’t get a bigger cage I would put it in corner of room or cover side or two sides so he feels more secure

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
You need to get him an adequate cage. That cage is WAY too small. I just saw your previous post as well. This bird is completely stressed out from being uprooted and placed somewhere completely new. You really should just leave him be once you get a new cage for him. Let him observe you, the new surroundings, and the routine. Then start trying to let him out and interact with him. As for screaming, I've had my two boys for 13 years now and they still freak out if I wear something new, or carry something that they don't know what it is. It can take them 15 minutes to stop after that happens. Your bird doesn't really know what's going on with his life. Get him a proper house and let him adjust.
I'm sorry you're so stessed out. I hope things get better.