• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Indian ring neck parakeet

Par rots

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariam
I have a male Indian ring neck parakeet and he is the most adorable thing! But I do have one question! Necko (my parakeet), is bought from a pet store! He was abonded there by his old family at 6 months old! So we brought him home. He prefers to be high up like on the curtains and lamps! He doesn’t really like spending time with me only when he wants to! I’m scared he hates me but I’m no bird expert so I need your help! Please reply to this and if he does hate me how do I make him like me! 39BA77FC-A356-4E4D-BD84-BFFAEBD82067.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

bee2

Moving in
Hello , just give him time he will soon become your best friend it took me 4 months to make mine friendly and now he’s a chatting and is very friendly

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Welcome to Avian Avenue! I don’t think he hates you exactly he is probably just a bit scared of you. Pairing yourself with good things (like treats) can help.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Mariam :starshower1:

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
:welave: :) Welcome!!!
As for getting your birb to trust you, my advice would be to play music, draw, and read, read, and read some more (srry i rlly love reading :0)
Or, if you run out of things to do, googling multiple bird facts can't go wrong :p

Par rots

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariam
Hello , just give him time he will soon become your best friend it took me 4 months to make mine friendly and now he’s a chatting and is very friendly
Thank you but I have had him foe about 2 years and I can get him on my finger and cuddle him but I feel like he hates me

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you but I have had him foe about 2 years and I can get him on my finger and cuddle him but I feel like he hates me
Some bird species are less cuddly than others, and each bird has their own personallity. Your bird might not be a fan of cuddles, but that doesn't mean you can't have a good relationship with him!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Necko! :)

IRNs are intelligent...and independent! It's going to take time...and patience for him to settle in with you. Even two years really isn't that long...and IRNs are a notoriously "non-cuddly" species.

I am certain that Necko does NOT hate you...he is just being an IRN...really! We've had birds that like to perch high up on curtain rods and such...it's not that unusual...and we had a tiel that loved to sit on the lamp shade and stare at the light...we actually got a smaller watt bulb so the light wasn't as harsh on his eyes. ;)

Titan, our IRN, would hang out with you on your shoulder all the time...but NO TOUCHING was EVER allowed! He, in fact, was our first "birdie ambassador"...making countless trips to nursing homes, schools, etc...he brought joy to many people (including us) for 26 wonderful years...:irn:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Par rots

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariam

IRNs are intelligent...and independent! It's going to take time...and patience for him to settle in with you. Even two years really isn't that long...and IRNs are a notoriously "non-cuddly" species.

I am certain that Necko does NOT hate you...he is just being an IRN...really! We've had birds that like to perch high up on curtain rods and such...it's not that unusual...and we had a tiel that loved to sit on the lamp shade and stare at the light...we actually got a smaller watt bulb so the light wasn't as harsh on his eyes. ;)

Titan, our IRN, would hang out with you on your shoulder all the time...but NO TOUCHING was EVER allowed! He, in fact, was our first "birdie ambassador"...making countless trips to nursing homes, schools, etc...he brought joy to many people (including us) for 26 wonderful years...:irn:

Par rots

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariam

thank you soo very much! I was scared I am not treating him the right way! you are really very helpful thank you again!

Par rots

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariam
Some bird species are less cuddly than others, and each bird has their own personallity. Your bird might not be a fan of cuddles, but that doesn't mean you can't have a good relationship with him!
thank you soo much for the help! I thought I was a bad bird person lol I am a minor!

Last edited by a moderator: