• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My husband broke my quarantine law

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
I took one of my kids to a birthday party and my husband broke my quarantine law :tmsmakesme:. We will take Mordecai to the avian vet on Wednesday when we take Lady B and HOPEFULLY everyone will remain healthy. I was so upset. He said they were calling back and forth to eachother all day from different floors of the house and that they were both "heightened" and wouldn't relax ANYWAY this isnt about him. B and Mordi hit it off. Bartok is.....definitely more....assertive? Medium bossy, but... thats not really new lol. I tried to give Mordecai a break by closing her cage door when she went inside to eat and he spent his entire "break" desperately trying to get into her cage. They are currently both in her cage (doors open) eating pellets/chop from the same bowl, at the same time. Bartok bathed, then Mordi bathed..... I guess my concern is - do I seperate them tonight or do we just... ride out this AWFUL DECISION of breaking quarantine (unless they fight)?

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aw they look so happy together. At this point unfortunately what's done is done they've been exposed to each other and touched and shared food perches ect. Taking them to the vet to be seen is the best plan. Hopefully he will be healthy and everything will be ok. I'd be very upset as well at this turn of events but you tried to do things properly so try not to get too distressed it wasn't your fault.
That's really encouraging that they hit it off so well right away and I hope that bond lasts and they are besties for years to come.
Please keep us updated about them and how the vet visit goes. I personally wouldn't leave them alone overnight in the same cage until more time has passed just in case goodness forbid something was to happen late at night when everyone is sleep.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I agree with @April, Vet check as it is too late to worry about trying to quarantine. I would not allow overnight cage sharing till you are absolutely certain they get along perfectly without any squabbles.

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
UGH. I feel bad, I didn't explain WHY quarantine was necessary to him, and he just thought I wanted Mordecai to get used to us and that he was helping by doing the "stressful" intro while I was gone and he was so excited to show me how attached they had become and i was like.... WHAT HAVE YOU DONEEEE. So, I hope everyone is healthy because... I don't want anyone being sick AND I don't want him to feel worse about his ooopsie. I separated them to sleep, and I am glad I did. B seemed relieved to have her space back. Mordi on the other hand was QUITE peeved. Ohhhh well!!! At least they became fast friends!!!! They are now covered and hopefully snoozing!

Attachments

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
I will also tell you, the beauts at AA about my... completely unwarranted overreaction. Lol B is pretty predictable in her daily routine, she eats, naps, perches, flies a little, spends time in and out of her cage at her leisure until 7pm when she "goes home" to get ready for bed. Today, obviously was very different. When I got home and both birds were out, they were SUPER active and busy all afternoon, they both went to her cage at around 530 pm to eat (they ate...so much) which makes sense since B typically grazes all day but with all the excitement today, she didnt. At some point, I looked in the cage B was on a perch all fuzzed up asleep, and I noticed I could only see 1 foot - for whatever reason my brain was like OMG HE BIT OFF HER FOOT!!!! which makes 0 sense because shes the sassy one and hes the gentle sweetness. I ran over, opened her door and said her name - she just looked at me bewildered and annoyed, stretched out her "missing" foot, readjusted and went back to sleep. It was so funny! Obviously shes exhausted, today was the most exciting day of her life lol

Kori

Walking the driveway
Aww I can totally see my husband doing the same. (also I never seem to hear about people doing quarantine in this country...)
They look so cute together!!

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Aww I can totally see my husband doing the same. (also I never seem to hear about people doing quarantine in this country...)
They look so cute together!!
I think there are different.... husbandry common practices all over! I live in a very...... rural community and the only other bird person I know locally (who is a "breeder" of many creatures) thinks I am a whackjob but to each their own I suppose! My husband is convinced that if ANYTHING our original budgie would be patient zero because she was a buy and sell baby and Mordecai was vetted and chipped at the rescue - but I just hope everyone is healthy lol. Ive heard of people not quarantining without consequences - and people not quarantining with consequences so I'd rather err on the side of caution I guess!!

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Okay - quick update. When Mordecai was in our bedroom (for one night only insert my eyeroll here) he had "night frights" and it was actually pretty...scary (for me, I guess) anyway on weekends we typically do this thing we call "omega bed" in our family room (also, Bartok's room) last night after we separated Mordi and B, they BOTH had night frights (which is very weird for B) I tried not to make it a "thing" and I brought nightlights in for them (we have an abundance due to our 100 jk 3 children). This evening Mordi and B did NOT want to separate, we tried for almost 2 hours, and then we gave up. There have been 0 night frights, 0 squabbles, we are VERY close to the cage (its a holiday tomorrow for us) so...I think this is just our lives now. B is definitely less friendly since Mordecai's entrance (AT LEAST TO ME!!! she is still social with my husband and teenager) and Mordi ALMOST flew to me today but, was intercepted by B. He perches near me and stares mostly, I hope everything is safe and fine and I am curious to see how things progress!!!

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
It would probably be wise to start a new thread that is a Lady Bartok/Mordecai combo (but... not yet. Lol) Mordi ate seeds from my hand today, the secret to my success is that B was being... B so she coaxed him into my hand with her beak. See pics of my success, and my...influencer.

Attachments

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I guess my concern is - do I seperate them tonight or do we just... ride out this AWFUL DECISION of breaking quarantine (unless they fight)?
Yep, what's done is done, and it is what it is! Glad all turned out okay so far.

B was on a perch all fuzzed up asleep, and I noticed I could only see 1 foot - for whatever reason my brain was like OMG HE BIT OFF HER FOOT!!!!
Oh my gosh, I laughed SO hard, I knew she was sitting there with her foot tucked up, mine do that all the time!

This evening Mordi and B did NOT want to separate, we tried for almost 2 hours, and then we gave up. There have been 0 night frights, 0 squabbles
Isn't that something! Do you cover her/him at night? I used to cover all the way, but realized they had much less frights when they can see the bottom of the cage, so I just cover the top front half, and there is quite a bit of light at the bottom of the cage this way.

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Yep, what's done is done, and it is what it is! Glad all turned out okay so far.

Oh my gosh, I laughed SO hard, I knew she was sitting there with her foot tucked up, mine do that all the time!

Isn't that something! Do you cover her/him at night? I used to cover all the way, but realized they had much less frights when they can see the bottom of the cage, so I just cover the top front half, and there is quite a bit of light at the bottom of the cage this way.
That is so interesting!!! Yes! I was covering the whole cage, and when I added the night light I kind of...swooshed the cover over a bit so theyd have some light. I will be mindful of my cover placement for sure. Last night they slept in the same cage without incident while we were all in the room and then this evening they both returned "home" to eat and cozied up waiting for me to put them to sleep so..i did. This evening though I saw that they perch a good distance away from eachother to sleep. For whatever reason I guess I assumed theyd cozy up together. I am definitely fine with their...space. I too prefer not to snuggle lol

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That is so interesting!!! Yes! I was covering the whole cage, and when I added the night light I kind of...swooshed the cover over a bit so theyd have some light. I will be mindful of my cover placement for sure. Last night they slept in the same cage without incident while we were all in the room and then this evening they both returned "home" to eat and cozied up waiting for me to put them to sleep so..i did. This evening though I saw that they perch a good distance away from eachother to sleep. For whatever reason I guess I assumed theyd cozy up together. I am definitely fine with their...space. I too prefer not to snuggle lol
I'm the same way - I don't want anyone touching me when I sleep - I want to SLEEP!!! ;)
When Fergus and Fiona moved to the living room from my bedroom, it bothered me because I couldn't hear them as well, so I am hoping they are not having the frights and flying around crazy when I don't hear them! I don't think so though. Usually when I wake them up they are sleeping within 6 inches of each other, but sometimes they want their own space and they are clear across the cage from one another! Budgies are great, aren't they? Other times, it's 'monkey see, monkey do', with Fergus following Fiona around the cage like a shadow!

Kori

Walking the driveway
I think there are different.... husbandry common practices all over! I live in a very...... rural community and the only other bird person I know locally (who is a "breeder" of many creatures) thinks I am a whackjob but to each their own I suppose! My husband is convinced that if ANYTHING our original budgie would be patient zero because she was a buy and sell baby and Mordecai was vetted and chipped at the rescue - but I just hope everyone is healthy lol. Ive heard of people not quarantining without consequences - and people not quarantining with consequences so I'd rather err on the side of caution I guess!!
Absolutely! I could never not quarantine, now that I know, but I feel a tiny bit sad in some twisted way that I can't plead ignorance because I just can't see quarantine of any length going well in this small apartment.
It's sweet reading how Mordecai and Lady B are getting on :swoon:

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
There have been 0 night frights, 0 squabbles, we are VERY close to the cage (its a holiday tomorrow for us) so...I think this is just our lives now. B is definitely less friendly since Mordecai's entrance (AT LEAST TO ME!!! she is still social with my husband and teenager) and Mordi ALMOST flew to me today but, was intercepted by B. He perches near me and stares mostly, I hope everything is safe and fine and I am curious to see how things progress!!!
Let them sleep together. Bartok may pull back from you for awhile but she will not stop interacting with you. She may however try to stop Mordecai from interacting with you. She is the boss (or so she thinks). Talk to him anyway. Go slow and don't be surprised if she tells you off...lol. He may never be quite as tame as she is but he will stop being afraid of you if you are constantly interactive. I have a little hen who is still jealous of my little boy when I get too close to him. She tells him off but has never once been aggressive with him beyond the odd angry chipmunk sound. He does however get many beak to beak lectures from her. He is a patient fellow and listens intently..

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Thanks everyone!!!!! Yes @Lori D Pert you are SPOT on!!!! Lol B is QUITE the sovereign. She has pulled back (only from me!!!, she still perches with my husband and 2 older children) all of our interactions are her intercepting Mordecai and giving him AND me the squeak in our face lectures!! She IS a little bit aggressive with him when he doesn't....fall in line but, he never wants to be apart from her. He IS curious he will stare at me and make like hes going to come visit but hes usually intercepted OR changes his mind. I live for Bartok's queen b vibes and assertiveness! A girl after my own heart!! We saw the vet today! He said they seem healthy, hes happy with their diet, he did a ugh the name escapes me - fecal swab? Just to be on the safe side since Mordi likes to make poop soup ALL DAY LONG. He booked a follow up for the results - and to schedule the beak/nail trims he said they werent critical and he didn't want to stress them too much. He also advised putting a few drops of braggs apple cider vinegar in their water a few times a week - and a sprinkle of avian probiotics in their chop for "prevention, and optimization" so, hopefully thats....good practice! Im about to search probiotic threads to see which one we are going to try!!! Thanks for all of your continued guidance, and appreciation of my tiny beasts!!!