• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My herd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Just a few pics of my boys. There are four of them. Apache is the Gray draft cross and my husband's horse. The brown QH (the head perked up looking at the camera) is Remmy who is a newer horse we share and is sorta a guest/anyone can use type horse. The brown one with lighter mane and star on his forehead is Rascal. That is my baby that I got from a bad situation as a yearling. He is now being saddle trained. Finally the black one with the blaze and socks is my dream horse - a mustang off the range. His name is Guinness and he will be saddle trained in the spring.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are stunning!

Matt

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are so beautiful :swoon:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Absolutely stunning horses! I love the last pic especially!:heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Love them all!:heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wowwwwwwwwwwwso beautiful.

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
Stunning! Just Stunning pictures!

when I was a little girl, (back during dinasaur days) I wanted to own a horse ranch! I am just a wee bit jealous! lol

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Gorgeous horses! And I'm extremely jealous of your pastures - here in Southern California land is too precious to be used for pastures. My horses would prob. explode with joy if I showed them your pastures! :D

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Thanks everyone! Horses were always my dream growing up. Mom says I grew up playing with my little ponies and now tha I'm grown up I'm still playing with ponies. :D

SallyQZ - I heard that about california before. I think my horses would die from shock being cotained. They throw hissy fits if they are dry lotted while the spring grass is coming in. Just can't get them to understand its for their own good. :( So how are our horses kept - stalled all the time or do they get dry lots to use?

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
They're gorgeous!

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
:wow:JUST:wow:SUCH BEAUTIES :heart::heart::heart:

ThatDarnBird

Beautiful horses! I'm jealous! When other little girls were playing with dolls I was playing with Breyer Horses.:D

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Thanks everyone! Horses were always my dream growing up. Mom says I grew up playing with my little ponies and now tha I'm grown up I'm still playing with ponies. :D

SallyQZ - I heard that about california before. I think my horses would die from shock being cotained. They throw hissy fits if they are dry lotted while the spring grass is coming in. Just can't get them to understand its for their own good. :( So how are our horses kept - stalled all the time or do they get dry lots to use?
When I had my horses boarded, they were in 12 x 12 stalls all the time. I had them in full training, so 5 days a week they were either ridden by trainers or me in a lesson. Occasionally (very rarely) they would get 20 minutes of turnout in the arena - but not very often as my gelding was hard to catch so they didn't like turning him out.

Last October, I bought my own "horse property" - that's Californian for a 1 acre lot with a house. So my stall is 12 x 16 but it has an attached turnout that is roughly 30 ft wide by 60 ft long. They are free to go in and out of their stall as they wish. It's not much, but it's still better than standing in a 12 x 12 stall all day. :(

We have a huge community arena, so I either ride or lunge or turnout at least 5 times a week. It's not the best arrangement for horses, but it's the best I can do. When I lived in Canada, we would have our horses out on pasture all the time. The only time we brought them in was if it was storming badly and they needed to stay dry. One day I'll get out of California and back to the real country. :)

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Sounds like your new new arrangement is better than the old one of being stalled all of the time! That is about what my horses get in the spring (a little bigger with 4, but not much) when the are being kept off pasture. They seem to be happy enough other than not understanding why they don't have free access to green stuff. But its enough room for them to move around and even trot a bit. My boys only use a lean-to or the overhang off the barn for shelter. Our stalls are mostly used for winter hay storage.

Good luck in getting to "real" country in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.