• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My heart says yes...

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
But my head says no.
Late last week I came across an ad to "adopt" my dream bird.
I communicated back and forth with the woman for a couple of days, but was still undecided.
It's a male moluccan cockatoo 7 months old, all papers, closed ring, DNA sexed. I mean everything is perfect. He has been hand fed and socialized.
So last night I was showing hubby a screen shot of something and he saw the picture. Right away he was like "omg is that a moluccan?"
So I explained how I had been corresponding with the woman and we were both quiet.
Ever since we had to rehome our moluccan cockatoo in Canada before we moved back to the UK we have both regretted not bringing him, although we could only bring 2 birds with us.
We brought our macaws.
So now is our chance to finally get another one.
Then Dolly came strutting over to me to be picked up and I knew I couldn't bring another bird in, no matter how much I wanted the moluccan.
I look at my little girl, and the love I have for her is overpowereing. She has come a long way already and still has a long way to go to get back to full health.
That's what my focus is.
Between Dolly and Frankie demanding our attention costantly, it wouldn't be fair to them to have to share us with another bird, no matter how beautiful and cuddly he is.
The dust from both of them may be too much for Frankie as well.
Even with the air purifiers running
We did it in Canada and all our birds were fine with the arrangement. So again, it's my sweet little Dolly that is really stopping me.
And that's not a bad thing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I understand. It's hard. I have talked myself out of birds on more than one occasion. I want to help them all but then I have to think about what's best for my current flock.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Awwww
There is nothing wrong with listening to your heart .

When it comes down close between my head and my heart, I learned long ago to go with my heart. My head is an over worrier filled with every what if. And it focuses on all the negative whst ifs never the positive.

If you found the perfect fit for your missing piece. I say go for it.

For evey negative what if , there is a fix or work around.

With a difficult decision, by the time you decide you usually feel peace. But if you find yourself still turning it over, and posting ( :) ) you are probably just afraid to make the leap.

You've listed so many positives with this, baby, raised correctly, you had before, it worked before , you miss

Last edited:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
You are so right and tbh I can't stop thinking about him, BUT

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I get that. Thankfully, my head has won out on most occasions—with the exception of this little budgie boy I recently took in. Your Dolly is a sweet, special, lucky girl!