• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Heart horse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
This is my gelding "Courage". I rode him for 6 yrs and learned so much on him. However, it was never a really great fit as he is so strong & powerful. And very spooky & reactive. He made me very nervous & that led to him being more spooky & reactive. But I loved him so much - he is my :heart: horse. I knew I could never sell him, but he needed to be in regular work with a confident rider.

So I am letting a local young rider use him for lessons & shows. They have clicked and seem to have a perfect partnership. Now, he is still a giant butt most of the time and she falls off on a regular basis, but she is young & bounces. :D

Here is a pic from a recent show. I'm so proud of him, and so heartbroken that I don't ride him anymore, but I know I did the right thing. And one day, when he's older, he will come home to me and I'll have a cup of coffee with him every morning. :)

Attachments

Wen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
Absolutely stunning horse. You have done the right thing having someone else come in and take over the riding; a selfless act on your part - well done ! What breed is he? He looks huge and VERY strong. My first horse was an amazing jumper, but he too made me nervous so we were not a good combination at all. He got a new rider and went on to win, win, win. It's hard to let someone else do it, but in the long run, it is definitely for the best in a situation such as ours!

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Loree that is a stunning animal~~ I am very glad your were so selfless & thought
about him...thats what good people do...you are special. I rode all of my teenage
years But I rode western and mostly bareback..I was a bit of a wild child...I recall
the summers here in Miami & riding all the trails. I had a quarter thororghbred mix
called Pepsi. He was a sorrel and had a gorgeous coat...:)

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
He is a Holsteiner, and 17 hands tall. But despite his size, he can spin like a pony when he spooks. His go-to move is to be cantering along nicely, then suddenly slam on the brakes (sometimes for absolutely no reason at all), then spin and bolt. Considering that you usually end up halfway up his neck when he screeches to a halt, you rarely survive the spin and bolt. I was getting a pretty deep seat, when he decided to mix it up a little. Skid to a halt, spin, start to bolt, screech to a halt, spin back the other way. I didn't stand a chance! :D

I've always kept him in full training at a jumper barn. But after he fractured his coffin bone, I retired him from jumping and started dressage with him. He hated it, and got more & more reactive. I knew he'd be happier if he was back in a jumping barn, and Ashley came long literally within one hour of me deciding to lease him out. It is a match made in heaven. And I tell myself that maybe one day, when he's older & less spooky, maybe I'll go back to jumping him again. Maybe....

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Oh his really is a beautiful gelding. My :heart: horse in my herd is my 17 hh Thoroughbred - Shadow. Luckily he is a total sweetheart for me and knows my moves, I know his - he is 20 years old now and I cry when I think that the day is coming when he will need to be retired. Our horses are our therapists!

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
Thank you for sharing your story and pics! He is truly stunning!

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Wow, look at those knees up under his chin!! He knows his stuff! Good for you for finding the right fit for him. I know it's hard to do. :hug8:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
17 hands is HUGE>>my gelding was only about 13 hands and was a retired cattle horse from Texas. I got him straight out of the
travel trailer. Sweet and gentle to the max & being a cattle horse he new body movement commands like turning on whim..I enjoyed
him until I was about 18 then my granddad sold him because I was in the boyfriend stages..he went to a good home. But I tell ya that
horse gave me what ever I asked of him...incredible bond we had..good memories..I hope you can build those in the future with Courage;).
!~~!~

Status
Not open for further replies.