• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My grieving budgie wants my constant attention

Skiwis

Meeting neighbors
My budgie Sky has always bossed my other budgie Kiwi around, who has recently passed away. :( He now shouts for attention for the majority of the day, starting early. I feel like he is trying to train me now, and I'm not sure that he's happy with just a couple of training sessions a day. I was thinking of getting him a mate longer term, but I would like to get him better trained first.

I was also thinking of making another play stand for in the kitchen so that he could fly inthere, instead of shouting as soon as I leave the room. I have done call training with Sky, however he has not been keen to be called onto a perch. How should I go about trying to overcome this?

Skiwis

Meeting neighbors
*Update*

I have now got Sky to fly to his outside perch for seeds, but his persistent chirping hasn't stopped. (He's always been the noisy one!)

He starts calling at around 6.00am most days and has a fluttery 'tantrum' when I go to leave the room!
He doesn't seem to be playing with any of his toys apart from his swing. What type of toys would you get generally?

I definitely think that he would be happier with a mate and it would make me feel less guilty not being in his room all the time

Solly

Strolling the yard
I am sorry for your loss.

while I kept budgies, other than having them hand tame they lived outside with a flock in a freeflight aviary. so I’m not much help with the training.they definitely thrive better with a pal or three lol

i do always remember the noise, budgies are loud, so that could just be his normal. It is why I opted not to keep them as I now live in an apartment.
I know we always hung up swings. Hanging toys of all kinds. They used to love twig rings and would pull those apart. We put small balls in for them to throw about (like cat toys with bells in the middle). Millet was always a fave.. that Could be useful for your training.

you sound like you got this though.:)