• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My green cheek conure’s wings are black..

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya
I’ve noticed my green cheek conure Dexter getting black lines at the ends of his feathers on his wings. At first I thought he was just molting but after doing more research I saw that it could be because of over preening. He does like to take baths and whenever there is a body of water near him he will not hesitate to dunk himself inside. We also sometimes use a hair dryer to dry him off if he is extremely wet. We have limited drying him using a hair dryer because it might be the cause to this but I’m not sure why his feathers are like this since my other conures feathers are completely green and fine. Could anyone explain why his feathers are like this? I attached a photo of what his feathers look like and what my other conure’s feathers look like for comparison.

Attachments

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
This is bronzing, caused usually by wear and tear in feathers. It’s more likely in feathers that are more susceptible to damage, such as those grown while on a seed only diet. if this is a young bird, bronzing is very common on the first set of baby feathers. If this is an adult bird and they have recently had a clean bill of health from an avian vet, I recommend improving diet if needed, monitoring for excessive preening, and waiting to see how the next molt goes. If they haven’t seen a vet, a checkup and bloodwork would be ideal if that is accessible to you.

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya
I’m not exactly sure how old they both are but I’m guessing less than a year. We haven’t yet taken them to a vet but we are looking for one. Thank you so much!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Zara As this a place for human wellness,this might better responses in healthy highway forum.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!