• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My GCC won’t eat his pellets

Birbs02

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
Hello I recently added a baby yellow sided GCC to our family. He is such a wonderful bird who is very cuddly and curious but he won’t eat his pellets! He was given to us with a food mix that had pellets in it but mostly seeds, I have mixed the food mix into zupreem pellets but he just picks around for the seeds and won’t touch the pellets. I’m worried he is not getting the nutrition from the pellets. Should I try the color pellets from zupreem? I’ve heard that people’s birds are more interested in them.

I’ve attached some pictures of Tiki!
thanks!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Zupreem Fruity is what I start with for picky birds :) It's also helpful to not mix it with seeds - try to feed a bowl of JUST pellets for a few hours and see if he gets hungry enough to try them :) There is little incentive to eat broccoli when its surrounded by candy ;)

Birbs02

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
Zupreem Fruity is what I start with for picky birds :) It's also helpful to not mix it with seeds - try to feed a bowl of JUST pellets for a few hours and see if he gets hungry enough to try them :) There is little incentive to eat broccoli when its surrounded by candy ;)
Thank you, I think I will try the fruity zupreem pellets. I only mixed in the seeds because I thought that I could slowly transition his old food to pellets, but what you said makes sense so I will start doing that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Defintely don't starve him though :) After a few hours if he hasn't eaten any, you can introduce a mixed bowl again

AstridBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
izzy
Hi , I just wanted some advice, im planning on getting a ggc soon but im finding their diet confusing, some books say they should eat fruit and veg daily and have seeds/pellets at meal times, others say dont feed them seeds and give them fresh fruit and veg every other day and some say to leave pellets in their cage all day and give them fruit and veg at meal time? im not sure which is the right option to ensure a healthy and happy bird who wont become low in vitamins or become over/under weight. Would really appreciate some advice (i live in the uk if anyone can suggest some good but affordable brands)

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Tiki is so adorable! :heart: I had really good luck getting Jenks off of seed by using Harrison’s Adult Fine pellets. They are pretty small like seeds so he took right to it. You could try those as well if he doesn’t go for the Zupreem Fruity.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sprouts sprouts sprouts.... Veggies + a little fruit.... & pellets

Ok thats my speal

The best pellet is the pellet your bird will eat but every one will take time. Shawna has great advice here. @ least one meal should have veggies & a small amount of a low sugar fruit. Seeds should always be sprouted. Head over to the food court & rummage around there's tons of advice & we're all there to ask questions & help you through the next year if changing your fid over to the healthiest & probably the most frustrating but well worth it year + of your life. My advice take a bunch of pics of your little one now & you will see a feather quality difference once you've completed the diet change.

:bighug: & big welcome to AA
Rain