• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My GCC only steps up to me....help

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
when I got Baby (my GCC) she was parent raised (not the issue) she didnt know how to step up and was sacred of hands but after only 2 or 3 days of working with her and ganing her trust she steps up and flys to me on command. Others in my household were always around talking to he feeding her millet from her cage but now shes out of her cage all day long and when shes on me and they talk to her or touch me or try to give her millet she becomes territorial over me. Vocalozing, lundging towards them, opening her beak and wings trying to be intimidating she wont step up to anyone but me...that said shes never bit anyone. Any advice?

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Also she won't take millet from anyone outside of the cage but me. No matter how approached (high, low. Talking or slilent) she vocalizes and either gets on my shoulder and snuggles under my chin or stands her ground and opens her beak

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Ive tried leaving the room even going outside she wont leave her cage until and unless she sees me.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
I tried!! She will step up for a moment and fly to me if I'm not around fly to or on top of her cage!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Have they tried to simply give her treats while she's in her cage?

More specifically... when they walk by her cage, they can drop a treat (not hand feed, drop!) into a treat cup in her cage?

And since you've started clicker training (even without a clicker), what about having your household work on some of the training while she's in her cage?

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
She will not no matter what approach in her cage or outside of it anyone but me. Even with the click noise. She looka up and when she sees anyone but me she gets as far away as possible.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's a process :) Some people may need to work for several weeks or months before a bird is comfortable with them

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
This is not gender or age specific although she seems less apprehensive with my 8 year old than my husband.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Oh she is fine with me! She hides on me when she can get to me and hod her face in my sweaters and my hair!

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
I do need to remember its a process she just warmed up to me so fast I thought she'd also do it with others.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Hahns took to me within 3 days, even though she was super terrified of everyone else. It took my husband several months for her to even take a treat from him.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
No its not the same with everyone, some people just naturally conects with animals and kids then others, has a relative like that, where the rest of us has to work on conecting well enough if helping with others pets..they always just taken to that person after just a few moments.

And the animals often streach that litle extra for such people too, even more maybe then owners in some cases.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If your household is just dropping treats into a treat cup, she *DOES NOT* need to approach them.... simply learn that any time they walk by, she gets a reward.

Pretty simply.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
I do undstand the concept the issue is when the approach her cage she gets defensive and we don't want her stressed.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Okay, that helps!

Is it possible to approach the cage slowly? Not look at her directly? And essentially, ignore her while dropping a treat into a dish? Might even help to announce presence if coming from around a corner and walk by the cage rather than directly at it.

I have a wild caught ARN so I completely understand nervous birds and having to take a slow approach!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I don't think birds should have to step for strangers. That involves forcing the bird, IMO. Mine don't see many people, so they are not comfortable with strangers. I don't need them to step up for strangers. That said, if I hand them to someone, they're generally okay.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
I live with my family. They aren't strangers to her. They have known her as long as I have.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
She is in the living room and she's fine until anyone not me gets within 2 feet of her cage