• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My gcc is very agressive in the morning or when im near his cage, I think i know why

blXndglXss

Meeting neighbors
During bed time i usualy just throw a cloth completly around the cage and close the lights.my bird screams rly loud insteatly. I didnt think much about it that he just hates going to bed. In the morning he biteALOT very hard and seems mad. Even during the day hell be agressing when im around his cage.but when i told my mom what i do when i put him to bed she was about to cry and she sayd it was rly sad. After thinking about it putting my bird in its cage a place witch he is inside alot during the day, then completly pitch black and a bunch of noise hapening in the house. The poor thing must be confused and scared like a little kid. Ive decided to put him slowly to bed. By fiving him a little bath,keep the light low, putting this time the cover but open on the entrance so he aware whats going on and i give him a treat. I hope this time hell be less aggressive and forgive me and the bitting will be less frequent in the morning. I want to be better for my bird and learn from my mistakes

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A routine definitely helps, but know that some birds are very protective of their cage regardless of their bond with you. Their cage is the equivalent of a nest, and in the wild they would guard it from everyone except a mate and their offspring :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not really a good idea to bath your bird at night, better to keep that activity for day time so your bird has time to dry properly before sleep.
A routine is definitely a helpful thing to have but you want to make it a routine that is calm, relaxing and enjoyable for your bird. Putting the cover partly on after dimming lights and quietening the house down sounds like a nicer way to prepare your bird for bed, you might also find some noise like a fan or air purifier may also be helpful too.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
It takes lots of time together to keep and maintain relationship with birds.

Many birds will protect their cage ,it's an instinct . I usually work around that, by spending a few minutes chatting sbd saying hello, then letting them vine out of cage before interaction with them. If you attach a perch or 2 to the outside of the cage with one on the outside by the door. Then you can get the routine of them coming to thdt perch , I tap it then when they come to the perch on outside I say hello and give a treat.

My gcc Ta-dah I've had a long time, over ten years now! She gets over excited when I first come to say hello and thst can lead to bites. Do I do as I shared with you, I chst with her sbd let her calm down. Then I open the door and have her come out. Often she still need a few more minutes to get past the over excited stage. Then she is happy to step and visit .

I hope these tops help you guys!