• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My GCC is biting all of the sudden

Birbs02

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
Hello,
I have had a sweet baby GCC, Tiki for about a week and a few days now. He was such a sweet heart for all this time with only a few bites when he was curious and just feeling with his beak. For the last two days, however, he all the sudden gets an attitude and bites down hard on our fingers and ears. When we try to get him to step up he will just bite at us. The only thing that was changed was his food. He was given to us with a mix of seed and pellet and now he is on all pellet because he was just eating the sunflower seeds out of the mix.
when he bites I don’t react and I just say no in a firm voice and if he bites very hard he will go back to his cage.
Im just so confused because he was such a love bug and so calm before.
I would love some advice to stop this behavior from becoming a habit of his.
thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How old is he? Is it possible that he doesn't want to step up and feels cornered?

Birbs02

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
How old is he? Is it possible that he doesn't want to step up and feels cornered?
he is not biting when he steps up, he has no problem with that, but he will be perch on my hand and will just start attacking it or will be on our shoulders and we try to get him to step of and he will start biting. But he is 8 weeks old.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Green cheeks usually wean around 12 weeks; I would maybe offer some soaked pellets or vegetable baby food on a spoon to see if he just needs some comfort feeding.

Birbs02

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
Green cheeks usually wean around 12 weeks; I would maybe offer some soaked pellets or vegetable baby food on a spoon to see if he just needs some comfort feeding.
Oh really? We were told he was fully weaned but I will definitely try that. Would that lead to his attitude change?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Possibly. I know if I'm hungry and no one is listening then I get hangry :lol: it's very possible that he was fully weaned, but it would have been a forced weaning which can make them feel insecure - and may also be contributing to the biting

Birbs02

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
Possibly. I know if I'm hungry and no one is listening then I get hangry :lol: it's very possible that he was fully weaned, but it would have been a forced weaning which can make them feel insecure - and may also be contributing to the biting
me too :lol:that makes sense. Do you have any tips on what to do when he does bite in order to stop or lesson the behavior?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I put them down immediately, on the closest surface, give them a dirty look, and walk away for a few minutes.

AstridBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
izzy
Hi , I just wanted some advice, im planning on getting a ggc soon but im finding their diet confusing, some books say they should eat fruit and veg daily and have seeds/pellets at meal times, others say dont feed them seeds and give them fresh fruit and veg every other day and some say to leave pellets in their cage all day and give them fruit and veg at meal time? im not sure which is the right option to ensure a healthy and happy bird who wont become low in vitamins or become over/under weight. Would really appreciate some advice (i live in the uk if anyone can suggest some good but affordable brands)